Help with Moles (((Please)))

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mike28nc, Sep 26, 2005.

1. mike28nc

mike28nc LawnSite Member

Hello all,

I am a home owner that is being over ran with moles. I have tracks all over the yard. What is the best thing I can use to kill them? I have a dog so I dont want something that he can get into. I was looking for something that I can spray and keep the dog off the grass for a couple days and they are gone. Anything out there that can help me. You can reach me at mikelamb68@hotmail.com or on chat mike28nc on aim or yahoo. you can also reply to this and I will check it daily. I want to get rid of the moles before this winter so next spring it is fresh season.

Mike Lamb

2. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

talpirid mole bait is the best thing to use for mole control. Available thru Lesco. Check out www.Talpirid.com.

3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Check your hardware or nursery. There are a few products for moles but can't of the name for them.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Use merit every year. it will kill there food.

John

5. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that Talpirid is the best thing for the job. It's a bit expensive and requires a license but the stuff is the first bait formulated specifically for moles. With their incredibly fast metabolism, most moles are voracious but only for earthworms. Talpirid mimics both the feel and texture of earthworms and because it is a rapid acting toxin kills the mole instead of sickening it which makes it bait shy. Traps have very limited success and require both skill and luck.

6. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

John,

You're partially right. The grub worm is a food source but contrary to common public misconception and retail quick answer philosophy their primary food source is earthworms. Too chemically control earthworms apply Sevins. Personally unless out of control the earthworm is more beneficial than harmful to the turf.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

He should try the merit first!!!!! Then tell us what happend.

John

8. shiveslandcsaping

shiveslandcsaping LawnSite Member

Dig a 1' x 1' x 1' deep of turf up and examine and determine if you have a grub problem first.

9. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

10 grubs per sq. ft. = problem

10. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Talpirid. Nuff said.

Other baits just don't work. Moles would rather starve than eat them. Even when they eat them it usually won't kill them.

Get rid of the grubs with Merit, that solves only part of the problem. Like the previous poster said, don't kill earthworms unless they are a REAL BIG problem.

Find someone in your area who uses Talpirid, and knows how to use it. I've had good success with it. Kills 'em dead! :gunsfirin