HELP with mower decision

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HLM86, Oct 18, 2005.

1. HLM86

HLM86 LawnSite Member

I know that I have posted a similar question before but I really need to make a decision on a zero turn mower. I am thinking about a Toro, Exmark, or maybe a Scag with either the 48" or 52" deck and either a 19 or 23 hp Kawisaki engine, or is a Kohler better? I will be cutting mostly centipede and st. augustine grass, and a little bit of bahaya. I want the mower to disperse the grass clippings very well, and I want it to mulch leaves well. So which one?? The Toro, Exmark, or Scag? And which engine Kawisaki or Kohler? Thanks for any help.

2. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark 48" w/ultra vac, 23 kawasaki

3. HLM86

HLM86 LawnSite Member

thanks for your response. why do you suggest an ultra vac?

4. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

the ultra vac works great for leaf clean-ups, mulches the leaves as it bags. it also works great for grass, we have had very good luck, no problems other than the bags getting holes. just a suggestion, the only draw-back is they are fairly pricey...

5. HLM86

HLM86 LawnSite Member

any other opinions?

6. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Demo them all and decide what you like best. I am on my 5th Scag and had a hydro pump on one rebuilt at about 700 hours. Other than that, Never any problems and they cut well. But, my mower choice will be different from many others for various reasons. Also, find out who has the best dealer support for each machine. That will be very important. Demo, demo, demo.

7. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have had HORRIBLE results with the exmark on centepede and bahia grass. it cuts st. augustine great, but what mower doesn't?

I would go with scag.

8. wowlawncare

wowlawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

Yes demo them all and if they wont let you demo it cross it off your list. What else is there around you comercial mowing wise?

9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would look at grasshopper too. and lastec if they have them in your area, looks to be an intersting design, see if you can get a demo.

10. Sawmac

Sawmac LawnSite Member

There's not much difference in toro to exmark their owned by the same company, but they both have much better striping capability than the scag