Help with mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bstroman, Nov 17, 2006.

1. bstroman

bstroman LawnSite Member

I currently have 3 properties and planning to upgrade my mower this year. I may add a few more properties however I have a full time job and this is just side line work so no more than 5 to 8 properties, largest property is 1 acre most about .5. Currently looking at a mini fastrak (I know it is not commercial) or a good walk behind. My questions is how good is a walk behind (gear drive) something like scag or hustler with a velke attached. Are they pretty easy to turn and use, and are they pretty fast. I just do not need to spend a lot of money to get started. Looking around 3500 to 4000 dollars. I would appreciate any honest advise I could get, because dealers tend to want to over sell you stuff that I think that I do not need.

2. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

itd work but you have to stop and get off everytime you put it in reverse. i've heard good things about quick 36s and they are rather cheap. single hydros. i'd recommend a dual hydro though and throw a sulky on it. another option would be something like a exmark phaser 44" cut. i believe they are less than 6000 and a small ztr

3. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

Get you a 48 in Walkbehind with a 2 wheel velke. Belt drive will run u around 2500 maybe 3000. Hydro is gonna put you over budget besides their not all that, save the money go with belt. I have used belt for years. Only time I might consider Hydro if it was a riding mower. Scag, Huskavarna, Lesco, Toro make some good mowers. I know huskavarna has a 3 year or more warrantiee.................GOOD LUCK

4. Richard a Mower

Richard a Mower LawnSite Member

on wet turf, my hydro drive walk behind tears the sod easily on my turns; would a belt drive have less of a tendency to tear the sod?

5. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I've been running a Snapper 48" belt drive with no problems. I also have a Snapper 61" Rider Z and keep the WB just because of the reliability. Hydro's need more maintenance!! Just for a look back I paid $1600.00 for the WB in 04 and its an 02. It has paid for itself many times over!!

6. bstroman

bstroman LawnSite Member

How hard is a 48 inch gear drive walk behind to control. Things like reverse, turn and pull with velke. I think for the gear drive will suit me I just need to know they compare to a 36 inch. I do think the extra deck width would help, but dont needs machine that is impossible to control.

7. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

A belt drive mower is much easier to control than a Hydro. For somebody who doesnt have much experience I wouldnt go Hydro. You might hurt yourself. A belt driven mower has gears. So you can start in 1st gear and get the hang of the mower. I dropped my 48 in WB over at a friends house and within a few minutes he had the hang of it. I just made him cut in 1st gear. By the time he was done mowing his lawn he was up to 3rd.

8. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

Good Grief Y'all,

Why Does everyone have to buy NEW. Bstroman, check your local classifieds, you should be able to pick up a USED 48" hydro for less than your budget. If you want to get the job done quickly and easily, a 48" hydro walk walkbehind would be perfect for the size lawns you do. Check E-bay for something in your area. We run 1-60", 2-48",1-36", 1-32" not all hydros but all were bought used. All are used continually. Keep up with the maintenance and they'll be fine. TOTAL cost for all machines was $4000, all bought seperately.

9. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

You have got to be kidding

10. bstroman

bstroman LawnSite Member

ok, any thoughts on yazoo kees belt drive. I have a local dealer with excellent customer service and can get a new one for around 2500. However, for 3 PROPERTIES WOULD A MINI FASTRAK KEEP UP. Not commercial but 3 to 5 properties.