1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

help with mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by veltenslawncare, Sep 11, 2003.

1. veltenslawncare

veltenslawncare LawnSite Member

i started out mowing in the begining of this year. I have 25 accounts right now. I got these through my dads friends. im 17. i just started advertising. i plan to double my contracts by next year. i started out with a 1998 snapper 42" cut tractor. I then bought a 1998 48" great dane stand on. i started out with 0 dollars in revenue after buying the snapper. then with the money i made i bought the great dane. i stihl fs 85 trimmer. 1 redmaxx statro charged trimmer. 1 redmax eb7001 blower. and an enclosed trailer. next year i plan on buying a zero turn. however i need help with what to buy. im leaning towards the simplicity stallion. the only other machines im considering are a scag or exmark. please give your opionon on my situition. thanks for the help.
  2. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would'nt buy anything until you know for sure what you'll have for accounts next year.....
  3. zmowing

zmowing LawnSite Member
    from York,PA

(Exmark) We have 4 of them 2, 60" 26hp and 2, 60" 28hp just traded are 72'' on the new 28hp all ESP. You'll never use your old mowers again.
  4. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

Will the Dane not do what you need?

Not sure what size your accounts are, but I worked for a guy and our crew was doing up to 45 small lawns a day with an ancient 48" Scag walk behind with a sulky.

Only problem I could see is if you have huge yards, or if your '98 model is starting to get ragged
  5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Use what you have

Put some money aside, When the 48 Dane needs to be replaced then by all means replace it.

If you gain some 10 or 15 lawns next year then worry about it.

You might want to invest in a ground blower for the fall leaves now.
  6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Get a lazer HP, and sell everything else. Have fun!

7. veltenslawncare

veltenslawncare LawnSite Member

i have school and football practice. im taking college summer classes. my dad works until 4 which is when ill get home. so we will need another unit. we only have about 5 town lawns. the rest are from 1-6 acres. which is why we will need another unit.
  8. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Ditch the snapper.... you don't need a garden tractor to mow.... too slow!
    Do you Like the Great Dane? Gonna hold on to it for a while?

Are the lots you are gonna do with the Z level and open? or hilly with many close landscape features?

DEMO, DEMO, DEMO....... start now, buy when you feel you're ready.

And definitely get a ground blower soon....... don't wait for the leaves to start falling! It'll pay for itself VERY QUICKLY... quicker, most likely, than any other equipment you own.
    As for my opinions..... eXmark, and Little Wonder.

Good Luck!

Where in NY is Walton? I'm in Dutchess County.
  9. kenneth parsons

kenneth parsons LawnSite Member

Can't beat ExMark, here at least! Service after the sale is outstanding here...may not be in your area. Service after the sale should be about 50% of your decision. Ex Mark accounts for over 50% of all commercial mowers sold! What does that tell you?

MIMAINTAINCE LawnSite Member

Exmark makes great mowers. Id sell the snapper and depending on how many larger properties you get and depending on your budget, Id get like a 52" or 60" Exmark Lazer Z.