Help with mower!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, May 3, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Help!

I have a honda commercial 216KHXC mower, I love this 21" mower.

It cuts fine when it's in rabbit mode, but when I switch it to turtle mode and try and engage the blade to cut so the speed is slower, the mower shuts down?!?!

I can only cut in fast mode, but not slow mode!

What could the problem be, any of you guys have this similiar problem>

2. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

These small engines are designed to operate in a limited RPM range to produce the maxium amount of torque and HP.

Most now days have an operating range between 3200 and 3400 RPM.

Think of it like hooking a 15,000 lb weight to the back of your truck with a manual trnsmission and trying to pull it up a long hill in 4th or 5th gear at an idle. You will not get far before the engine can no longer produce enough power to get the job done and quits running.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

MAYBE, if you dress up like the easter bunny, it will THINK it's in "rabbit" mode, and it will work. rabbit mode, turtle mode, get a real freakin lawnmower

4. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

yeah my advice is to push that mower off a cliff.

5. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the RPM's need adjusting. Have you tried engaging the blade's at "rabbit" mode then after the blades are spinning lower it to "turtle" mode? Is this a hydrostat unit? I always mow at the higher RPM's and just turn the walking speed down.

6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Hondas are known for stalling out when you engage the blade clutch. Even at full throttle the motor comes close to stalling when the blades are engaged. IOW, they are gutless! At any rate, why are you trying to cut at low throttle? All mowers are designed to cut the best with the throttle wide open.

7. alpine692003

lol, i gotta get it fixee

8. alpine692003

Well, I'm just curoius thats all ..

Cut at fast speed and slow speed ..