help with Mulch Pricing for a the new guy on the block

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Lawnsmith7, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Lawnsmith7

Lawnsmith7 LawnSite Member

I have a job I'm currently getting together an estimatefor. It's 29 cu.yds. of mulch in a large yard (front and back) I have the estimate for the mulch and delivery, I just need the help about setting the labor price and I have 2 guys plus myself that will be doing the work. Can someone help me

2. michiganlands

michiganlands LawnSite Member
    from z 5

charge it time and material. don't do an estimate on this. If you do an estimate, make sure it is only that: an estimate. Know a bit more about what you're doing before you dive in. Buy a yard of mulch and see how long it takes to spread it at your own house.

3. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

Is there any edging to do? If not then we would charge $1,983 delivered and installed.

4. michiganlands

from z 5

This is so dumb. Nobody even knows what the mulch is costing the guy. We don't know what he charges per hour. We don't know if he has to wheel it up hill. We can assume it won't be dumped close to the beds (we assume he doesn't own the dump truck). EJD charges X amount, joe blow lawn charges Y amount. Who cares? Charge the appropriate amount, and if you don't know the appropriate amount, flip a burger.

5. michiganlands

from z 5

And, take the comma out of your tag line lawnsmith. I hope you don't put that on your truck.

6. Lawnsmith7

Lawnsmith7 LawnSite Member

I'm just starting out and was asking for help Michiganlands and i just needed feedback not a knife in the chest... EJD Lawnpride thanks for your assistance... there is no edging to do the areas are flat and terrain is ok.. mulch is $18 per yard...

7. B_gerrits

B_gerrits LawnSite Senior Member

Are you going to put down weed cloth? How far is it to the backyard? Unless you know this person well they probaly won't go for time and material. How are you going to get it to the back yard. How close will the area it will be dumped at be to the area it will be installed in front yard.

8. michiganlands

from z 5

OK, lawnsmith, I was just trying to make a couple points. Anyway, $2000 is a good price for it. This assumes $50 per man-hr, at an 8 hr day. Do what you will with it.

9. michiganlands

from z 5

And you always want to mark up the material at least 1.5 X

10. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

Lawnsmith, i figured that the terrain was easy or you probably would have mentioned it. If you did have to edge or had to haul up hills, etc. the price would have been around 3,625. If you charge around the 2k mark you will be making money. I hope everything goes good for you and good luck with the estimate.