Help with my own landscaping of patio

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by springman26, Aug 6, 2004.

1. springman26

springman26 LawnSite Member

I just had this patio built at my house by a mason I know. There is just a little grading left then some topsoil and moving of a few rocks. Anybody got ideas for plantings. In the one pic with the 3 boulders there is a reaaly big slope down to the woods, not sure what to do here. Thanks in advance.

patio1.jpg

2. springman26

picture number 2

patio2.jpg

3. springman26

picture number3

patio3.jpg

4. springman26

picture number4

patio5.jpg

5. springman26

picture number5

patio7.jpg

6. springman26

picture number6

patio8.jpg

7. springman26

picture number7

patio9.jpg

8. springman26

No ideas? Questions, comments anything?

9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure you spend more than $250 on plants. Just kidding.

If that were my patio, I would like to make it feel a little less like a stage hanging out there in the back yard. It would be nice to buffer it from the parking and boat storage area with some plantings and maybe stepping stones with some kind of entry. It could be wide like a big pergola, but something to make the patio its own space.

The hot tub is not the most attractive, but a nice feature none the less. It might be nice to enclose as much of the back and sides to make it more cozy. It would be nice to sit in it without feeling like someones going to walk up behind you. Continuing the planting by wrapping it from the house to partly around the end of the patio would make the tub more subtle and make the patio a more intimate space.

My preference would be to open much, if not all, of the patio out to lawn as you head away from the house. The house and the end plantings will give you a sheltered feeling, but you won't feel closed in on all sides.

That is just one way to look at it.

10. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

I like Agla's suggestions and agree 100%. I love to have perennials around patios for summer interest. Group them in threes and fives so it doesn't look like grandma's garden. Consider some coreopsis, sedum, black eyed susan, ornamental grass, prurple coneflower, etc. You also need atleast one buddlea, but remember to give it room to spread.

I'm not sure how much sun you are getting there, the plants I mention prefer full sun.

Just brainstorming here:
    Can we get the mason back to build a small retaining wall about 8' off the back of the patio. This way the grade off the patio will be level (or less pitched) and it will act as a 'transition' from the landscaped area back to woodlands. Everything from between the wall and patio gets landscapes with plants that will stay under 3' and not block the view. Perhaps frame the view with a larger flowering shrub on each side.