Help with New Engine INstall

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by just_some_dude, Jul 17, 2010.

1. just_some_dude

just_some_dude LawnSite Member

Hey my John Deere GT275 Kawasaki 17hp engine has a broken crankshaft and I am putting in a new Tecumseh 17.hp engine.

The wiring is totally different. Anyone have any advice as to how to work with this?

Thanks.

2. shop22

shop22 LawnSite Member

you will be sorely disappointed with that Tecumseh and they are no longer in business anymore. Just spend the money and replace it with the original engine and you will be further ahead in the long run.

3. just_some_dude

I don't doubt I'll be disappointed, but I got the Tecumseh for $75 bucks. It was significantly cheaper than trying to find a replacement that would have been worthy of the Kawasaki that was in there.

The Tecumseh doesn't even look worthy in comparison between the 2 engines. My issue is the major differences in wiring.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I haven't seen anyone stoop low enough to put a Tecumseh on their unit. If you post the engine model and spec numbers I'll see if I can dig something up on it.....

5. just_some_dude

Really, I can't say I'm proud of the Tecumseh, but it's what I have to work with right now.

Tecumseh Model OHV175 204801A (H)
    Kawasaki Model FC540V-FS15

Does this help?

Thanks!

6. just_some_dude

If it helps:

Tecumseh
    Model OHV175 204801A (H)
    Family WTPX5.4902AA
    Displacement 490 D.O.M. 8329 D

Kawasaki
    Model FC540V-FS15
    Family SKA535V1G2RA
    Displacement 535CC (0.535L)

7. Restrorob

OK dude,

Looks like your up the creek, The Tecumseh engine only has a 3 amp non-regulated charging system. The original FC540 engine has a regulated 15 amp system. Most PTO clutches pull 8 to 10 amps from the system so what's left keeps the battery charged, Only having 3 amps the clutch will drain the battery down rather quickly leaving you with a non cranking/running machine.

8. just_some_dude

Can I just swap the engine parts?

9. just_some_dude

Where did you find the amp info?

10. Restrorob

Kawi and Tecu parts won't interchange, I don't know what spec number Tecu engine would have parts that may interchange with yours. Tecumseh's were never big in my area so I've only worked on a few.

My info came from Tecu parts look-up and reading the service manual, Then reading the JD service manual for your tractor along with over 20 yrs experience in this biz.....