Help with new mower selection Ferris, Gravely,Woods

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by bugboy, Jun 22, 2013.

1. bugboy

bugboy LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

All I could use your advice on three mowers I am trying to decide between. I mow 4 acres of rough rolling ground. Below are the three mowers I am looking at, which would you choose and why?

Ferris IS2000Z 2013 Demo, 61" deck, 30 hp briggs commercial turf, 15 hours - $8000

Gravely Pro Turn 260 2012 Demo, 60" deck, 29 hp Kohler EFI, 5 hours - $8000

Woods FZ25D Mow n Machine 2008, 61" powerlift deck, 25 hp Kubota diesel, 450 hours - $6000

Thanks!

2. CurbAppealKS

CurbAppealKS LawnSite Senior Member

That's a tough one. I don't know anything about the woods machine. The ferris has the best ride, but I'm not so sure about the 30 Briggs. The gravely has the better engine with the efi kohler. Can you demo all of them?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

Get the ferris. But if you are going with a 61 get the 3100 z its not that much more in the long run and the best ride out there. My guys fight over them based on ride and cut over my buntons.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. CurbAppealKS

This is the truth. I didn't bring that up because I wasn't sure what the budget was for the OP. They are awesome machines.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. bugboy

bugboy LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

First off, thanks for the responses.

I have mowed with the Woods FZ25D and it performed similar to the Grasshopper 721 front mount mower I currently have, just faster and newer.

I borrowed a friends Ferris IS5100Z just to try a Ferris mower. The ride was really smooth but the 5100 is a beast and no where near my price range. I have contacted my local dealer about trying out the IS2000Z, the demo unit would be the actual mower I am looking at buying. I have not had a chance to test this mower yet. The dealer said he has a IS2000Z with the Kohler EFI that is a few hours shy of the demo credit that would be available soon, so this is also a consideration.

The IS3100Z does look like a great mower and the additional $2000 is why I was not considering it but maybe I should reevaluate this. I don't need a mower ASAP so I could save up some more $ and look at getting a 3100 in the fall.

The Gravely looked like a good price but the dealer is to far away to get to demo it on my yard.

6. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Gravely, ferris is good for the ride and nothin else. Efi is definetly worth it

7. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

Bug where are you at. My dealer has a few 3100 from last year
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. CurbAppealKS

Bug, the 3100z has a different rear suspension setup than the 2000z. The 3100 uses an a-arm setup, where the 2000 uses a coil over only for the rear. They ride differently, so keep that in mind. I have operated both machines and you can notice it. The 2000 still rides very well and would most likely do what you need to do. If you want the Cadillac then drop a little more cash, if you're happy with the Lincoln then that should work for you.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. aroddy

aroddy LawnSite Senior Member

I sell alot of 3100s. but i really like the 2000Z with the kohler 29efi. Its nice n quiet and gets excellent fuel consumption. 1.3gph!!!! But theres nothing else to compare to the 3100z in ride and large acreage productivity. Excellent cut on both model tho.

10. bugboy

bugboy LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Lafayette, IN