Help with oil leaking diagnosis? *pic and diagram included*

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by HashBrown007, Apr 3, 2008.

1. HashBrown007

HashBrown007 LawnSite Member

My Honda GXV670 has about 500 hours on it. The other day it cut off all of a sudden, white smoke was in the air, and there was a small diameter hose trickling gas from it.

It will start fine now, but after a minute or so gets loud loses power...

Any Ideas?

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

most likely the valve cover gasket

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Check your oil level and smell for fuel contamination, It sounds like maybe a piece of thrash got under the float needle valve and filled the crankcase with fuel.

4. HashBrown007

HashBrown007 LawnSite Member

My bad, I made that post in a bit of a hurry, here's what I should have said:

Friday the engine quit, it just cut off all of a sudden. White smoke was in the air, and there was a small diameter hose trickling gas from it.

The next day I cleaned my engine with degreaser, because there was a good amount of oily grime from not having cleaned it for a few months.

Once thoroughly cleaned I ran the engine full throttle. After about three minutes I noticed a definite reduction in power and also louder-than-usual engine noise.

After I cut the engine off I noticed oil leaking from *the places noted in my attachments*. Oil had come out of, and onto, the valve cover. Enough oil had came out to form a small shallow pool on the chassis below (maybe two/three ounces).

It will still start fine right now, and it wants to run strong. But the problems mentioned above are pretty much immediate upon ignition.

Hope that helps,

And thanks.

5. hydro drive

hydro drive LawnSite Member

The noise you hear is it consistent with the RPM up and down?

Could be a Spun Bearing Or a cracked block. Bent valves Rod knocking. Does not sound good at all.