1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

help with Oregon 88-023 Blade Grinder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawn guy, Mar 28, 2006.

1. lawn guy

lawn guy LawnSite Member

Hi all,
    I purchased a blade grinder 88-023 and I have a few questions.
    1. What is a right hand cut blade? to determine forward or reverse when grinding, I'm grinding forward i hope thats correct
    2. When sharpening, The angle I use seems to be correct until I get to the end of the blade, Then it wants to dip into the opening where the grind wheel goes and unless I tilt the blade the angle is wrong.
    I hope these questions arent stupid but I have never used a blade grinder nor have I ever watched someone use one:confused:
  2. lawn guy

lawn guy LawnSite Member

Just want some tips on how to get the most out of this machine
  3. lawn guy

lawn guy LawnSite Member

Hmmm, Well thanks anyway, I'll let you know if I grind my fingers off :rolleyes:
  4. Billy Hardy

Billy Hardy LawnSite Member
    from Inwood,

I have the same problem! Do a search,there is one member one here who had a remedy? I use exmark excaliber blades and only half the blade get sharpened,I freehand the rest.I know the platform needs to be built up some how and if I figure it out I will let you know.Next time it will be magnamatic! Good Luck
  5. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

I'm not sure what a right hand cut blade is.

When I use my Oregon grinder (That didn't come with instructions) I've found that the blade should first be clean, meaning scrape off any stuck on grass and goop. The blade won't be balanced if it has junk stuck to it. This also insures that the blade slides easily across the table.

Stick as much as the blade as possible past the grinding wheel then maintain downward pressure with your finger tips to get the blade flat and the angle constant. Pull the blade outward away from the wheel as you grind. Do not grind the blade as you push it in, only as you pull it out. Keep pressure on the flat part of the blade downward and watch the cutting edge as it is being ground. Go at a slow to medium speed until you get the hang of it. Watching the blade as it's ground will help you to keep the blade straight and not dip down at the end. It takes practice. Wear Protective eye gear! I wear a full face shield. Don't let the blade stop as you are pulling it out or it will "burn" and possibly loose its temper (it will turn as black/blue color)

Try to match the same angle on the blades cutting edge as it came from the factory. Mine is around 32 degrees. Do not push the blade into the wheel too hard, at may get stuck and then it will burn. Again take your time and be patient. After you get the hang of it you may find that you can sharpen the blade not only while pulling it from the grinder but also as you carefully feed it in. I get better results just pulling it away from the wheel.

I have a friend who was an Eagle Scout, he says that the wheel should always be turning into the wheel for the best edge. The theory being that the steel molecules are being forced back into the steel making it harder for a longer lasting edge. In my experience thus far I have not found this to be true. Grinding the steel away works better for me. I don't know why.

Invest in a blade balancer. My plastic one was about two bucks. There are better more expensive ones. I keep looking for them on EBay.

I hope that this helps. Your question is not stupid!
  6. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Also dress your wheel after each blade. Keeps it from burning the next blade.
    Removes the old metal buildup.
  7. lawn guy

lawn guy LawnSite Member

Ok, Thanks for the info guys.
    What do you dress the wheel with? Don't say a miniskirt.;)
  8. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a stone, lava I think, that I hold up to the wheel with gentle pressure to remove buildup.
    You can also get metal wheel dressers.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You might consider ditching the bench grinder and get a 90 angle grinder and put a sanding wheel on it.
  10. lawn guy

lawn guy LawnSite Member

I just spent $300 for this grinder, I thought the cut was superior to a angle grinder