1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help With Pine Straw Estimate Job.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by nograss, Apr 8, 2006.

1. nograss

nograss LawnSite Member

If Pine straw costs $4.00 a bale, do you double the cost of bales and add labor plus labor for deep edging? I have a yard that takes 120 bales.
    thanks for the help in advance.
  2. Shane7258

Shane7258 LawnSite Member

I am getting straw for 2.75 a bale thats with a 10% cut since I buy so much for my yearly accounts a 3 a bail 20 dollar delivery fee and $40 an hour thats with 10 or more bails

If they use up to ten bails and they are yearly I charge 3 a bail with 20 delivery and 20 to lay it

I laid 50 in 3 hrs on one account

I ve got a new account to lay 7 bails and to put a weed control blanket down and he said thats what about 150 and I said ahh that is ball park since we have to worry about labor but its safe to say about that and I was smiling all the way to the truck

I am thinking 30 minutes worth of work an hour tops I could ease off but its all about satisfaction
  3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I guess I'm just a simple guy. Usually I go about 2.25-2.5 the cost of my bales. Around here I'd probably go $1200 for the whole job unless that edging is real extensive.

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

if you guys are getting more than 5.50 a bale in your areas your way ahead of Atlanta. Pinestraw is the biggest pain in the ***.
  5. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

We get pinestraw for $3.65/yd unless we buy over 25 bales, then it is $3.25. You can normally find a supplier that offers straw installation for $5.25 installed around here. I get them to do it, charge my customer 8.00-8.50 bale installed and I don't move a finger.