Help with Poison Ivy!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by JJG84, Jun 16, 2007.

1. JJG84

JJG84 LawnSite Member
    from OH-IO

Well, I have poison ivy and it just started to spread rampant on my body :cry: . Its been about 1-1.5 weeks since i noticed my first dot of it, and now it has worked its way to unusual spots.

I have been using some external spray on it which controls redness and itch, but I dont think its working much.

2. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

Go to the doctor and get the steroids for it.
  3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Man up and use clorox. It will cost you $1 and it works.

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with both If the unusal area are what I am think I would do the doctor. Normal the clorox is the first option for me. Goos luck:waving:
  5. extremerc76

extremerc76 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

might sound crazy, but put a little diesel on a rag and wipe it on the area you have it. the diesel will dry the poison ivy out just like it dries your skin out without the poision ivy. thats the way i get rid of it when i got it, it actually works for me. your skin will smell like diesel for a while though
  6. joshlawn

joshlawn LawnSite Member

Another home remedy is to use LYE soap. Works rather well, and you won't have to put any dangerous chemicals on your skin.
  7. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

when i was a kid i used to get into it all the time and had to go to the doctor every year to get shots. after about 6 years of getting shots it doesnt bother me anymore, but my wife got into it and she used bleach on it and it went away
  8. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

I was in your situation last year. I messed with the poison ivy for a week then finally went to the doctor. I got the steroid shot (1st shot ever in my butt lol), steroid pills and creme. Its amazing how quickly the itching stops. I would go to the doctor tomorrow if I was you. Its not worth suffering.

Just as an added fact the customer (one of my 1st customers from way back) that owned the house where I got the poison ivy found out that I had the poison ivy and insisted on paying for my medical bills. I told him it was OK but he insisted so I asked him to pay half.
  9. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I get it several times per year. I went to the docs and got some prednizone for it. I usualy use half the perscrition and save the rest for the next time I think I really need it. If you have it on little jjg84 then you should see a doc. But hey. If you've had it for a week and a half, then its about ready to dry up.

The best remody is to learn what it looks like and identify where it is so next time you dont get into it.
  10. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

bleach works doctor is faster and if it has spread that much GO TO THE DOCTOR.