help with pool waterfall

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Greenleaf Property MGT, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Greenleaf Property MGT

Greenleaf Property MGT LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone would have any ideas to get the waterfall out over the pool, the customer is looking for the splashing water sound they had at there hotel room on vacation and said the water fall was about 5-6 ' above the water surface.

Thanks in advance
  2. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

When you say pool are you talking a swimming pool? I would assume so. Pictures will help if you can post some of the working area and I am sure we can give you some ideas.
  3. Greenleaf Property MGT

Greenleaf Property MGT LawnSite Member

I will take pics as soon as possible to post and yes it is a swimming pool (in ground)
  4. SOS Landscaping

SOS Landscaping LawnSite Member

to get a splashing sound you need the water to fall unevenly and have obstacles in the path. If you have the "weir" which is the stone or whatever you use for the water to fall over, a smooth stone with a clean cut edge your going to have a glass sheet of water that is smooth but will make very little sound, something jagged or where the water will come out at different angles and hit the water differently there will be more noise. A good way to get a lot of noise is to have little shelves of rocks for the water to fall onto and create the splashing sound. the more things the water hits the better. Also lots of flow. remember that for every 1" of your spillway you will need at least 100gph of water.
    Pics will help too
  5. landscaperbob

landscaperbob LawnSite Member

Built this in 2004. I think falls look much better with some depth behind the falling water, so I create a cave with 3 base rock then cantilever a large flat rock out over the top. In designing the pool we also built a cupped area to accommodate the falls. It's tough to put a "natural" looking falls into a square, flat edged pool. Also,if you want to drop water 5-6' & you are in a windy area-good luck.[​IMG]
  6. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

Very nice looking falls. Normally I am not a big fan of using flagstone or large flat stones for all the cascades but you made it work nicely. Especially with a pool.