1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with price on sq ft

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mack, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Mack

Mack LawnSite Member

Went today to measure some parks. The first one was 690,480 sq ft the second was 423,950 sq ft. Is this possible to quote by sq feet or would it be
    better to just guess on how many hours it will take and just do a flat hour rate. My problem is the quote comes out to be outrageous and I know what the quote was last year and that why they got bad service. I think who ever did it last year found out that it was bigger then they thought. I made sure I measured everything. It seems when I measure small properties the sq ft comes out, but when I get to big ones the sq ft formula does not work, and I am better off to go to a hour rate. Any help.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Go to Scag site and get the number on how many acres can be mowed per a certain time. For the small areas we use 10K/20 minutes with 21", then we scale it up for 36" but when you get to 52" units use the Scag web site numbers.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The sq. footage thing is only a general way to estimate...VERY general. You have to consider things like how many sections, amount of trimming, fenceline, access, terrain (hills and/or ditches), etc. You are looking at just over 15 acres for one, and close to 10 acres for the other. Is it all wide open? Small islands or strips? You can't necessarily go by time, either. If this was the case, someone with 3 Lazers would be doing it MUCH cheaper than someone with 3 48" wb's. Figure your estimated time, then figure your costs. You will be able to figure what you will need to cover your costs and make money at that point. Everyone's is different.
  4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd do it based on the number of HOURS it will take you. As mentioned earlier, take into consideration any obstacles as well as things like having to mow on a certain day due to people using the park (you would increase your liability mowing on busy days), etc.

Also, if you go by the manufacturer's number of acres a given unit can mow per hour, pad that figure heavily. . .mine can mow 5.5 acres per hour, but on one of my regular properties it takes my 35 minutes to mow one acre because of the trees, uneven terrain, etc. that prevents me from mowing at top speed (actually I mow at about 1.3 - 1.2 speed on that one because if I don't, the gopher burrows will throw me off the mower).