1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

help with price on trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 1999frontier, Jun 28, 2013.

1. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I've got a 6x10 carry on open utility trailer with treated wood floor and a split fold down gate. Its a 2007 model I believe. I've got title and its clean. I let a UPS driver that comes to my work borrow it a few weekends ago to take his golf cart down to the beach. He likes it and asked me today when will I sell him my trailer. I said I'm waiting on you. He told me to give him a price. So I need help. Do trailers depreciate a lot? I think I paid like $1050 or $1100 new back in 07
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

Do trailers depreciate a lot?

Depends on condition mainly. If well taken care of, then it should be worth near what you paid for it. Do u need a trailer like this for future use, do u need the $? People say trailers depreciate but do they really. Hard to say. I'd based that on condition, tire wear, bearings, rotted wood floor etc.

3. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Trailers hold there value very well. Look on CL and see what other used trailers are selling for. Typically used and new are all the same price around here + - $50.

Beyond a doubt, many around here are asking as much, or even more for their used vs new. I would't give it away.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. TruSomethingOrOther

TruSomethingOrOther LawnSite Member

I bought my enclosed 7x16 back in 05 as an 06 model paying 6700. Same place I bought it from offered 2500 on trade. Said I can get a lot more selling outright as it's in great shape. It's still dam near new. I'm assuming I could get 3500 - 4500 for it. For comparative reasons, hope this helps.

5. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Open vs closed trailers are apples and oranges. Open trailers hold their value much better. Closed trailer hold their contents value much better.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. 1999frontier

from NC

I've looked at craigslist trying to find a good start asking price and a lot of them are either home made or look really old and they are still asking $600-$900.

7. A&A Center Trls & Srvc

A&A Center Trls & Srvc LawnSite Member

My New 6x10 With Pressure Treated Wood Floor 1-3500# Axle With 15" Tires Brand New Gos For Around $1100
    The Other Day We Sold A Repo'd Trailer Similar To What You And I Are Describing 2010 For 900 Which Is Fair. Year Model As Long as 2000 Or Newer Really Don't Affect Price Substantially Hope That Helps.

8. 1999frontier

from NC

Thanks!! So a good starting point asking price would be somewhere between $900-$1000? Only reason I want to sell is b/c I don't really need it. If I got another trailer I would get something like a 5'x8' with gate. Just something to have just is case I needed a trailer for a situation that may arise. I don't have my fourwheeler(atv) or riding lawnmower anymore. I would possibly be open to trading for a 5'x8' trailer with a little extra cash to make up the difference, but not sure how much more $$$ A couple hundred I assume.