Help with Pricing a 2 acre job

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Hartnett Lawn Care, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Hartnett Lawn Care

Hartnett Lawn Care LawnSite Member

:usflag: Hi there....I appreciate your advice.

I have a lady with a two acre lawn here in RI. The largest job I have done is a little over an acre and I have charged $100:usflag: fo that job.

What do you think for a two acre lawn...flat with few obstacles.

I have a 48" Scag Walk Behind mower as well as a commercial lawn boy and a toro Recylcer self propelled...both are 20".

Thanks for the help.

ps. I have two sons and another young man who helps me.

2. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

Without knowing how much trimming is involved I would say in the $150-175 range. :waving:

3. Hartnett Lawn Care

Thanks for your advice....I'll keep that in mind when I see this lady tomorrow morning.

I am knew at this and sometimes you don't really know what to bid.

She did ask me if I was still taking customers and if could mow every week.

So it sounds like she needs someone...We have 7 lawns right now for a total of $325 a week. I find that I don't make as much money with cutting but more with the other landscaping tasks the customer wants you to do: ie: mulch and taking care of the flower beds...etc.

Hope that once I get more experience I can help others out. :)

4. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

$325 for 7 lawns, $100 for 1 = $225 divided by 6 = $37.6 per lawn. How big are the rest of the accounts. Make sure your not underbidding your services with all the help you have. I do it solo and have 9 accounts (part time for me)
    And i was bidding on larger propertys over 3/4 acer and up. but i figured that i can do the smaller one faster and make more. Key is to keep them close together but that is hard to do when you start out. I also do mulching beds, busch trimming, yes you can make some good money on these services.

I just looked at a one Monday over a acer flat not to much trimming to do on the lawn but they had a hill that needs to weed wacked about once every 6 weeks, I bid $70 for the weekly cut and $90 for the hill that i think would take about hour and half. steep hill and big picture window about 3 feet away on back side of the house. I felt this was lowest i could go. and didn't get the job. Not to far from another i do and saw larger LCO doing it with three guys. Hey if they can do it cheaper more power to them. Illegels immg. getting paid $6 hour under the table. How do i know cause i stoppped and ask them if they would work for me for $6 hr. and they said thats what they makeing now would leave for $7. I had no intentios to do that but i just wanted to know.
    Good luck.

5. Hartnett Lawn Care

Budget...thanks fo rthe reponse....no one will do it better than you because you are the owner of your business. I have found that there is a niche for customers that want someone who owns there business and uses family members. I think they feel safer when it comes to their property. There are many decent "illegals" but at the same time our prisons are filled with them too. Once you get your customers they depend on you.

I ended up getting the job today....$200 a cut. There is a lot of "trimming involved"...fences; several out buildings; a pool; raised vegetable garden; etc.
    The good thing is that 1/2 of it needs the grass catched and I can throw that into a mulch pile...the other I don't have to use the grass catcher. I'll let you know how it goes. I figure two guys weed whacking for an hour; one mowing with the scag 48" for 2 hours; and one with the Lawn Boy 20" trimmer mower for an hour...another hour to remove grass and misc cleanup. (total labor about 6 hours @ $10=$60) ($140 to cover gas/profit/repairs/etc)

As far as the other 7 lawns....three are in a 1/8 mile radius and they take one person 1 hour and 15 minutes ($90 for three-2 are 1/4 acre and the other 1/8). Another two are side by side and are both 2/3 acre (they are related)(35 + 45 = $80.00) and the last is 1/4 acre with a hill I weed whack ($55.00)\

However with the price of gas ($80.00 to fill up the truck every two weeks that $ goes fast.

I pay my kids (ages 19 and 17) $10 an hour...but the money recirculates in the family (college bills; etc). The other young man is a friend and he gets $10 too. But to have reliable help is important.

See you down the line and all the best.