1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with pricing a job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Ferris3100BB, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Ferris3100BB

Ferris3100BB LawnSite Member

I need some help/advice on charging for my next upcoming job which will be spreading 17 yds of filldirt with rakes/hand tools, no bobcat/machines used. Price of dirt $250 delivered to the site how do I go about charging for labor/spreading?

answers will be appreciated

2. mikecaldwell1204

mikecaldwell1204 LawnSite Member

17 yards of dirt is a lotta dirt to be spreading strictly by hand. However we don't know what your doing. More info and we might be able to help you out.
  3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

around 800-1100
  4. Ferris3100BB

the dirt is to cover stumps/ uneven parts of this section of yard and to keep water from running off into neighbors yard
  5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

get some light topsoil and it will go fast.
  6. PearsonExteriors

PearsonExteriors LawnSite Member

Do you have any idea how long it will take you? What is your hourly rate.
    I have seen guys move 3-4 yards of soil in an hour by hand. I have also seen guys that struggle to move a single yard.
    A bobcat can knock that job out in a couple of hours.

Have you considered, just grinding the stumps?
    What about using minimal soil, investing in renting equipment and just properly grading the property?
    I really have no idea what you are getting with it just saying 17 yards.
  7. Ferris3100BB

I'll take pictures of what i'm doing later and let you see and maybe it will help you get a better idea of the job.
  8. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

ya got that right! Hope they dump it RIGHT where your going to be putting it and have the dumper try to drive and spread some out for ya. Estimate out how many hours you think its going to take you and the guys helping with rakes and shovels only and what you want to make per hour. Its hard to estimate for us online because we dont know any of the circumstances.
  9. Ferris3100BB

yea i'll try and get the truck to dump/spread best as he can, I was thinking about charging it like mulch so much per yard, by the way how do you like the simplicity tractor you have?
  10. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

17 hours x $50hr = $850, add another $50 to be safe I think $900 would be resanable.