1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with Pricing Commercial

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RickR1818, Jul 23, 2007.

1. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,

I have been doing well this first season with residential and foreclosures, but I have a large hotel that wants me to put a bid in. My question is with commercial properties what is the rule of thumb for pricing for mowing and trimming? Do you use sq ft of grass areas? Amount of trimming? For residential I use lot size. Just wanted to get a feel for having a starting point for an upscale hotel.

2. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Bid them on the amount of time you think it will take you or your crew to perform the maintenance. The thing that is common in commercial properties is more edging, trimming and blowing time because of the parking lots, walkways, and more hardscapes in general. On my first couple of bids I didn't really realize how much more time it was going to take. Walk the property as if you were trimming it if you are having trouble getting an idea of the time.
  3. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Perfect advice. WALK the property. Walk as if you were trimming. The double it to include your blowing. THEN start thinking about the mowing part. The trimming will make or break your bid price.

I do a place that takes me 3 hours to mow and 2 hours to trim. We have 2-52"s ztr's and one 60" that we use.
  4. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

I can't look at a big or complex property and estimate (yet?). So I got a measuring wheel and walk them for both edging and trimming around the structure(s), and make a note of how long it took to measure each. Then add some trimming time for trees and whatnot and as D&R said add for blowing.
  5. PascoPropMaint

PascoPropMaint LawnSite Member

I know this post has been around a while, but I got some pretty good advice from it. One more question I have is, when you guys bid your commercial jobs, do you quote a monthly price or annual?
  6. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Monthly for 12 months