Help with Pricing landscaping job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jdigreg2, May 30, 2008.

1. jdigreg2

jdigreg2 LawnSite Member

Hi everyone, i recently got a landscaping job and i am having trouble figuring a labor price to tell the man. Below is a summary of the work:

-Create an approx. 14 X 3 curvy bed in the front of home out of lawn
    -Remove medium size tree (8 in. diameter) and roots and dispose
    -Turn soil and add peet top soil etc. with some minor leveling.
    -Stacked brick retaining wall around bed 2 bricks high. (higher around edge to level)(customer wants bricks sitting on buried cinder blocks for stability so a 1 ft trench will need to be dug).
    -pick up and planting of 1 rose bush, 1 butterfly bush, 3 spruce, 6 juniper a couple other shrubs and a few flats of impatiens.
    -Mulch area

If anyone could help me decide on a labor price for this work i would greatly appreciate it. I'm thinking somewhere around 1000 but I'm not sure. I don't want to overprice and loose the customer.

2. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

1000.00 for the labor sounds about right. don't forget to mark up your materials.

3. jdigreg2

jdigreg2 LawnSite Member

thanks alot JNyz. The customer seemed ok with that price. Pricing is the hardest thing for me especially being 18 and have only a few years experience

4. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

i think 1000.00 woukd be my 60% deposit. i could be way of but i think i would be at almost 500 on plant material just my .02 good luck

5. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

he was asking for a labor price. he is 18 years old and should be able to comlete this in two days. that is over 60.00/hour which is a fair rate. a lot of you are working for less.

6. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

i agree.it is a good price.

7. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

the way he responded i thought that was his entire price he said the customer was ok with that price. i think the grand plus materials and markup is where i would be. but he replied like he got excited and forgot. he was reminded to not forget but he may have.

i hate to see some one do what i have done before and be working for free or very little or as with one case of mine my help made more than i did because i helped pay to get it done. so belive me no arrogance or attitude here i just like to put it out therre and help if i can

8. h400exinfl

h400exinfl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Other than removing 1 tree and some sod the whole job is install. If you are not a full fledged licensed/insured landscaper then I would charge around 2.25 - 2.5 times materials for this job, so I guess labor is 1.25 - 1.5 times materials.