1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help With Pricing Surflan App

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cvlm, Jun 17, 2006.

1. cvlm

cvlm LawnSite Member

Recived a call today from a customer who just moved into there new home no back yard just 1500 sq feet of bare dirt they want me to give them a price to apply pre-emergant to control the weeds until there ready to put in sod can you guys help me with pricing and also how long after i spray do they need to wait to install the sod i am new at the spraying part of the biz i will be spraying surflan and yes i do have my applicators lic thanks.
  2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Label says how long to wait .
    I would not use a prem, I'd maintain it with glyfosate
  3. cvlm

cvlm LawnSite Member

Thanks arizweedhead great advise i did mention this to the customer but for some reason they want preemergant. thanks
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Surflan as well as many other pre-emergents COULD affect the sod. Let them know this. Gly is BY FAR the cheapest and safest bet.
  5. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

On second thought , water the hell out of it to incourge weed growth and kill it off as it comes up.
    This is one way of cleaning the weeds out before you lay sod
  6. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Lay out a big piece of black plastic and throw some dirt clods on it. You won't have any weeds at all.
  7. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I agree gly would be the best way to go, a few years ago we built a new house and I sprayed the lot with gly every month during the building process. when our lawn was installed we had very few weeds.