1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with Pricing

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by firecapt13, Feb 15, 2006.

1. firecapt13

firecapt13 LawnSite Member
    from NC

I have a customer that wants approx 175 azaleals planted along a fence line. I was wondering what would be a ballpark estimate for this. I have been working on ideas and want to make sure i am in right range. Thank you.
  2. WalkerMike98

WalkerMike98 LawnSite Member

We normally charge wholesale x 2.7 per plant. Hope this helps
  3. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

You Buying Plants Or Just Planting!!
  4. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

are you suppling the plants or the labor or both? if both what are you paying for a plant? how many guys are working the job? how long do you think your crew will take to complete the job? are there any other expenses?
  5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

My price would be around $2500. That is approx. $1000 material and $1500 labor. Not bad for one day of work with 2 guys. I would also supply dirt, but that wouldn't cost me $50 for 175 plants.
  6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

ONLY 2500? I don't know if YOUR materials cost will be less than 2500.

Assuming azaleas cost YOU $15ea. I would charge the customer 30 each w/ a 1yr guarantee, 23 for no guarantee . Any weedfabric, mulch, soil preparation, topsoil, humus, fertilizer, etc?

Assuming new bed I would say plant one azalea every 3 feet...so 175 azaleas will get you ~525ft. Assuming bed will be 3' wide, 525' long, and 1' high...that gives me ~30 yards if I 'triangulate' it. Assume 15yds topsoil, 15yds humus that'll cost you around $20/yd or ~$600...i'd charge 900 for that material...more if delivery charge. How about weed fabric...assume $30/800ft2 your cost. Say you'll need three rolls thats $150 in landscape fabric. Okay, mulch, plain old dbl shred hardwood for 1600ft2 @ 3" thick due to new bed. Your looking at 15 yds mulch...assume 65/yd installed.

So far I have $5250 for 175 gauranteed plants, $900 for the 50/50 bed blend, $150 for fabric, and $1000 for mulch (installation included). I'm at 7300 with no labor (except for mulch) and no machine rental/time. I'm thinking this job is 10-12k.

I'm I missing something here?
  7. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

there is a nursery in Greensboro that you can buy 3 gallon azeleas for $8.00 each. We never guarantee any plantings unless we either install or approve the irrigation system and even then we tack on a premium for the guarantee. (not shown on the estimate) so 175 plants $2,800.00 plus any grading, prep work, plus mulch or pine needles. Also there is a guy that travels to GSO daily with pine needles for $3.65 a bale (landscapers/professionals only) his homeowner price is $4.00/bale. He will install on your property/job for $6.25/bale including bales. so your mulch covering assuming a 4 foot bed and azeleas one row on 4 foot centers (wouldn't be very attractive) your area is 700 sq ft x .25 for thickness, divided by 27 = 6.5 cubic yards or 30 pine needles. $8.25 a bale or 33.00 a yard 215-250 for mulching. We only figure these rates when we are planting. So some guys may charge more for mulching. We don't do any mulching or needling unless it is a new planting. hope it helps also any equipment time for planting we don;t tack on because our equipment is a tool just like a shovel it makes life easier and more productivity. it is figured in the 16.00 per plant rate
  8. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I Get 3 gallon Azaleas here in Raleigh for $5.50 each ALL DAY LONG, Almost any type you want!