Help With Pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawngirlpam, Apr 27, 2002.

1. lawngirlpam

lawngirlpam LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I HAVE JUST STARTED A LAWN SERVICE, AND I HAVE A HANDLE ON EVERYTHING BUT HOW MUCH TO CHARGE FOR MOWING, EDGING AND TRIMMING. DO I CHARGE BY THE HOUR? THERE WILL BE TWO WORKERS ON EVERY JOB. I DONT WANT TO SCARE AWAY PROSPECTIVE CUSTOMERS BY OVER PRICING MYSELF. PLEASE HELP WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS.

2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Pricing is as different as every town there is to live in. Some areas will bear much higher prices than others. My advice would be to price by the job as much as you can. And start bidding, some you get, some you won't. That will tell you real soon if your price is in the ball park.

3. ce2000

ce2000 LawnSite Member

As a general rule, I charge $30.00 per 10,000 Sq. Ft. This includes edging curbs, driveways and side walks and string trimming around trees and flowerbeds, and blowing off sidewalks and driveways. My helper and I can do a job like this in approx. 40 minutes

4. Aaron Klemme

Aaron Klemme LawnSite Member

Well, for starters....why 2 guys on every crew....or what does that mean. If you are starting out in the buisness an you do not know what to charge for mowing, not to be a pesimist, but you shouldn't hire anyone yet. Pricing is something that you make up yourself. How much do you wan't to make? How much do you have in overhead? You know what I mean. I will give you a generalized pricing but you may have to raise it or lower it depending on your company. $45 an hour on a 48-61 ztr, one man crew I think is a fair price. Now you better know what the hell your doing If you want to charge that to cut a lawn because you have to move! If you want to chat I may be able to give you some pointers on this topic If you e-mail me. I hope that this may help you alittle. Good luck!

Fixxxer50@aol.com

5. Aaron Klemme

ce 2000

What kind of equiptment do you use. 10,000 sq.ft. in 40 min?
    Just curious becuase we mow some properties that are 4 acres in 40 min.
    $30 per 10,000 sq ft way too high....at least in my area...but it shows how location makes a large difference

6. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I can easy get $30 for 10,000 sq. ft. Some places are even better. I have commercial that pay that for LESS sq. ft. They know they have no headaches with my work and pay up year after year. I do the work, mowing, fertilizing, sprinkler system stays on keeping the lawn green, and they send me the $$$.

SHOW me the money.

7. Aaron Klemme

d-mn BOY WHERE DO YOU LIVE?? i WANT TO MOVE THERE. I'D BE RICH. IF YOU GET THAT MUCH FOR THAT KIND OF AREA YOUR LUCKY. BUT GOOD JOB FOR YOU. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

8. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

It seems like rates vary depending on location. Call some other reputable lawn services in another area code (county) in your state and ask them what they charge. Let them know you are starting, but not in their district, so not in competition. They might help. If someone called me from another county, I'd be happy to help them get started. That way, you won't be underpricing (lowballing) or overpricing (can't get the business). Then, with this information, determine for your own business what you need to be charging.

9. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

lawngirlpam - when you say you're starting your business - how many customers do you have right now? Is it full time or part time?

If you don't have the experience doing the work enough to know how long it will take for you to estimate a job, then you need to spend more time doing the work solo before you begin hiring people.

You won't get the easy answer from anyone on how much YOU should charge, because it can't be answered in three sentences. For 10,000 sq ft, we might get $60.00 or more a cut, but that's because we don't cut acerage, we cut manicured lawns. Others only get $60 an acre in their market - or 40,000 plus square feet. Without knowing what type of equipment and why type of work you're doing, we can't even begin to answer your question. The most important thing you can do is understand how long the job is going to take and then multiply your cost factor to determine how much you're going to need to charge to make the job a profitable one for you. There are a number of threads that deal with determing your cost and pricing that should be very helpful to you if you need this information.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's useless even replying to this post, as this person never even returned to reply to the first answers. I doubt if she ever even came back to READ the answers that were given. Look at her profile: Total posts - 1.:rolleyes: Yes, granted, the answers COULD help someone else who reads them, but there is already plenty of good reading on this available through the search. Don't you guys just love people like this?:blob2: