Help with Pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gardengreen, Jun 20, 2011.

1. gardengreen

gardengreen LawnSite Member

well i submitted the quote this morning anyway with my original numbers because they felt right to me...the client just called and said go ahead with the job. I guess it shows that price is in the eye of the beholder and a fair price is what ever its worth to the client as long as you dont screw yourself...

2. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I agree.

Now, if you really got $6,500+ to do that 1 acre job, you are the man, and we all need to ask YOU questions.

3. gardengreen

Man you're thick....As i said several times the client doesn't want to do the entire acre of lawn...there are certain areas that are worse than others and those are the areas I'll tackle first...it'll probably end up being only around a third of the entire lawn area

4. vencops

from NC

So, that's 1/3 of $6,500.00? .....for 1/3ac.?

Once you establish a $$/1K, it's a simple multiplier.

5. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Wait until he talks about it at the golf course.
    Someone will tell him he got screwed.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Are you Donald Trump's son?

I think maybe you'd be better off working for somebody else.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  7. gardengreen

I guess i dont get it then.
    Are you guys even making a profit.....
    how could you charge less than $145.00 for a thousand square feet of top dress w/organic compost and overseed??
    Maybe I bill differently but I try to take into account every expense associated with doing a given job plus my overhead plus my hourly rate plus profit...
    Maybe its a little high but its not outrageous....

8. vencops

from NC

Are you charging del. charge on materials /1KSF?

If so, what's your TOTAL del. charge for 14, 520 (1/3ac)'s worth of materials? And, what are those materials (quantity)?

I'm just curious.

9. cub man

cub man LawnSite Member

I say charge as much as you can get I charge 200 to mow 1 acre of over grow grass some times i get the job some times I dont but when the grass gets high no one else will do it

10. Aaronnc

Aaronnc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7B

Your first problem is looking at the value of the house. Unless your doing foreclosures and/or have specific instructions from the client, a 10k house should be no different than a 10mil house, as long as they are paying clients.

Number 2, like Vencops said, it would be next to impossible for us to try and ballpark a figure without first interviewing the client and seeing how everything comes together.

My general rule of thumb is add 50% to my cost on supplies and charge $35 an hour labor, with a $50 delivery fee. (My topsoil distributor is 25 miles away.)

But yeah, if you can get $6500 an acre for that, I'll give you 10 days to draw up a crowd and kiss your butt in the middle of Wal-Mart. Either that or I need to move to Bristol, RI like yesterday. STAT!!