Help with providing a quote for Townhouse Development

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cclc1021, Jul 1, 2005.

1. cclc1021

cclc1021 LawnSite Member

Good morning. We have an opportunity to provide lawn maintenance services and snow removal services to a townhouse development. However, we have never bidded on any property this size. Below are the requirements

* 37 Acres
    * 500 Townhomes
    * mow the front and back yards of each townhouse unit
    * wants service 7 days a week
    * wants a mechanical edge done of the entire property
    * wants 2 leaf removals
    * quote should include edging, blowing, trimming
    * trim srubbery 3 times during the season

In addition, they want a snow removal proposal
    *remove snow from the front of each townhouse unit
    * remove from each common area

Any suggestions to help us put together an attractive proposal would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Harold

2. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Just my opinion....Make sure your contract/proposal is COMPREHENSIVE, meaning don't leave anything out. FULL SERVICE, including sweeping streets in the spring, irrigation run up, head replacement etc...complete fert program, pruning bushes atleast once per year. Have a policy regarding issues complaints etc....

Around here townhouse developments go for between $30-$40 per unit for the complex. It depends on what the value of each townhouse is. IF they are worth 120K a piece then you'd be on the lower end. If they are 250K+ then you'd be on the upper end. With a development that large, the money is there, you have to OUTSERVICE the competition.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well this would be a Big challenge for a 1 year old business! Normally they want to be sure you can do a job before they allow you to bid. So they would want to have list of equipment, insur, no.of employees and insur on them etc. Next as far as the bidding what size equip are you going to be able to use...no fences and gates? I would say roughly $10 per unit/cut and add something for bushes and fertilize, snow, and leaves. I assume that they will not let you mow on Sat and Sunday and evenings correct?

4. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

10 $ you got to be kidding me ? how could any one make any money so what if there no drive time or anything get real if there 30-40 lawns and you doing them for 10 what do you even get out of bed for ?

5. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

500 homes x $10.00 = 5000.00 per cut per week just for mowing

sounds good to me

6. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

btw, can u get us any pics

7. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Sounds good for the mowing but what about the extras.

* wants service 7 days a week
    * wants a mechanical edge done of the entire property
    * wants 2 leaf removals
    * quote should include edging, blowing, trimming
    * trim srubbery 3 times during the season

In addition, they want a snow removal proposal
    *remove snow from the front of each townhouse unit
    * remove from each common area

Add to that the fact that at the end of the contract, he could get underbid and it's all gone.
    I've never bid a job this size either so maybe it could all be justified in the $10.00 price that was stated but I don't think I could do it for that.

8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I come up with $2220 per week for mowing ,including trimming, edging, clean-up, etc. Total of 37 acres of mowing at $60 per acre ( adjust this dollar figure for your area) equals $2220.

Bill the shrub trimming at $45 per hour.

Leaf removal depends on the number of trees on the property and whether you can mulch the leaves or not.

If you can't mulch...add $75 per acre (again this depends on how many trees there are) each time you have to remove leaves.

I can't help with the snow removal. Snow is not available here in Florida.

Be very careful with this bid. Townhouse and apartment complex jobs can burn you very quickly if you are not experienced with them.

Good luck with the bid.

9. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

BTW, IF you get the contract, I would divide payments so you have 60% of the money coming in during the mowing season and the remaining 40% of the money being paid to you during the winter months.

500 units, damn that sounds like a nice job. I'd love to have a few hundred more units on my schedule!

10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

He is in Maryland , and one of the expensive areas , Columbia . Town homes start at 250K .