Help with pruning education

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jsf343, Jul 2, 2008.

1. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking to try and find easy to understand material or something on line that offers more education on pruning. Anybody else done this or know of anything out there. I am trying to educate my employees a bit more to make them more valuable to us. The local colleges do not have anything right now that they offer so that is not an option.

anything... web sites, on-line classes maybe, a book that has helped you, anything. I figured if ANYONE would know of something it would be the folks on here.

Thank you in advance,

Jeff

Moderators, I know this is one other place but pleeeeeeeeeease leave it so I can get help on this topic, if you have to take one away then take the other one and leave this. Thanks

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Try trade associations. In Michigan, the MNLA (Michigan Nursery & Landscape Association) has had pruning seminars in the past.

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

There is a book that is geared to desert plants but the pruning techniques are the same. The author is Eric A. Johnson and the title is Pruning and Planting Care and it is published by Ironwood press. Excellent book great sketches and pictures.

4. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

I would just hire someone to do a day or two of consulting. Take them to a site a get to work. There is nothing better then hands on training.

5. jsf343

Thanks AZ, I will check it out. I am looking for something with pic's so that sounds good.

6. jsf343

I agree, I have thought about that, might do it come late fall.

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Here is what you do. Come out here for a March vacation err... :hammerhead: I mean Horticultural training conference. :rolleyes: I will put one on and you can write it off on your tax's. PHX is pretty nice in March and we are doing lots of pruning then.

8. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

This is an incredibly good little tutorial on pruning for the price.... free.

http://www.coronaclipper.com/resources/Principles of Pruning.pdf

It covers most bases with solid technique and timing guidelines. Trees, shrubs, hedges, etc. I doesn't print out very well, but the info one would want to train crews on is all there. When printed, the type is small.... but if yer any good with a comp, you could fix it up.... me, I just go to the reading glasses. As a favor, if you like this link, and you do use it and make it more readable in larger type.... I'd appreciate an email! :)

9. jsf343

:laugh::laugh: I will pick up a ticket and maybe a few extra for the ki... I mean "future employees"

10. jsf343

That is a pretty good site. I will mess with it a bit tonight, if I get it any better I will send it back your way.

Thanks again!

Jeff