1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

help with pruning @ stress

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by turfeater, Jun 13, 2007.

1. turfeater

turfeater LawnSite Member
    from ohio

help with pruning ,heat stress

I have a customer who wants her smoke tree and large lilac cut back well ,,say 2 feet of 7 or so of each ,,Problem ? Its been very dry here in central ohio , ..would this be too much stress on them now ? Could I reduce by having her water each for a while and after ?
    tree ,bush are both in good shape .

also have a customer who has a twisted filbert ..thats out grown with a lot of suckers ,,how do I tackle that one ,,,same thing in a dry area ,,

How do you trim these up ?

Thanks much already rt
  2. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Selectively pruning (1/3 rule) is not going to cause undue stress to the plants. Summer is a great time to cut-back sucker growth and dead wood.

Could you explain this: "say 2 feet of 7 or so of each"?
  3. turfeater

turfeater LawnSite Member
    from ohio

by 2' i ment about 1/3 rd off the tree + shurb
    thanks rt
  4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Just do it
  5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Eshskis or whatever your name is. It is best to ask before performing such work, and should one have any qualms about doing so, we would rather answer the question than have the poster do damage to the plant material. That is what we are here for, and James is one of the very best to get this particular advice from.