1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with quote on irrigation

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by connor77, Jul 22, 2010.

1. connor77

connor77 LawnSite Member

If this thread should be moved please do so.

I'd like some help from professionals in terms of validating a quote I just received on irrigation installation. I have approx 3/4 of an acre that will be watered once the irrigation is installed.

Here are some details:

Hunter Pro C station controller
    8 Hunter or Rainbird 1" zone valves
    40 I-20 gear driven heads
    1 faucet (spigot)
    1 rain sensor

The install includes 1" 100 psi poly pipe, stainless steel clamps and inline tees

I'm in the northeast and the installer is about 30 minutes from my house.

Could anyone chime in with an approximate quote on this job? Thanks in advance...
  2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

$3900-$4500 depending on degree of dificulty.
  3. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Is this going to do the trick on a 3/4 acre lot.??
    I didn't see anyplace on there where you said---backflow preventer or relief valves for water drainage.!
    Do you need such backflow prevention as a ordinance of your city, county,etc.??
    Will you have enough pressure to run the system off of a house spigot??
    Are you using a post faucet electric pump??
  4. connor77

connor77 LawnSite Member

Think Green - thanks for the feedback. I have a well for irrigation purposes only so I don't think I'll have any back pressure problems unless I'm mistaken.

I'll have a 3/4 hp pump right at the well so I should be all set there.
  5. Fireguy97

Fireguy97 LawnSite Senior Member

Not back pressure, backflow prevention.

A backflow prevention device will stop any polluted or contaminated water from going back into your well. And JIC you didn't know, irrigation water is considered to be contaminated if you have any gear drives or pop-up's on your system.

I would have charged more, but I also don't know the degree of dificulity

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Backflow protection for irrigation "should" be a requirement in every state, regardless of what is installed. Now the type of backflow assembly required/allowed varies. Personally I wouldn't consider anything short of a PVB or RPZA for constant pressure application as they are health hazard rated.
  7. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Scratching my head here............The Backflow device is coded here for sprinkler systems and as I don't install irrigation.......only repair them, it will cost an extra 175.00 to install one depending on the type.
    I have seen dozens of irrigation systems installed around older homes that do not have a backflow devise. I won't even touch the system for repairs unless it is brought up to code.
    Some have direct water manual valves that will operate a particular zone.
    I guess the city hasn't caught these systems..........but a separate meter is required to run the water........?????? Some one is under the table buffing the code enforcement officer.?
  8. connor77

connor77 LawnSite Member

I'll make sure I spend the money on backflow prevention. I don't anything mentioned on the quote I received but I'll follow up with the installer. Thanks.
  9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Conner you do not need a backflow preventer on a shallow well ded icated to irrigation only. BTW where are you located . If in my area I would like to give you a price.
  10. connor77

connor77 LawnSite Member

AI - I'm on the south shore (Bridgewater). It would be a long ride for you I think so not sure if it would be worth it.

If my well is 220 feet deep is that considered a shallow well? That is the depth of my well obviously (220 ft).