help with quote

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by carlriv, Feb 19, 2002.

1. carlriv

carlriv LawnSite Member
    from Mass

I know this is another pricing question....

I have been beating my head against the wall for years trying to get some large commercial accounts, to no avail. I have the opportunity to bid one that I picked up for plowing this year (yes they are going to change the previous contractor did the plowing and got relieved of the whole contract before I bid it). Anyway I have bid several large properties and what pricing info I can get from the facilities managers or property managers as to where my prices fell are typicall vague. They do range from 25% high down to competitve and even rather low. I dont get it. I price all jobs the same way. I guess it just depends on who I am bidding against.

I have built up a relatively large customer base of mostly residential lawns and at several stops during the week we cut 10 acres+ without moving the truck. So I can handle large work.

But that is off my question is there anyone out there that does do these larger properties, and has had success in bidding them that would be able to give me any advice on how to go about winning this bid.

This may not be the best time to post this as I am leaving town for a week tomorrow. But maybe I will have some insight when I return. Also I would be thrilled if someone would like to actually discuss strategies with me via IM, Email, Telephone, or in person.

Thanks Carl

2. Did I miss some thing?

Like a question.

Nope i found it.

Join the club dude. I gave close to 1 million in commercial bids and closed very little.

And I thought I was low on the bids.

You must take the time to sell YOU to them not the service, I did not have time to sell me so I know why I did not close them

3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

depends mostly an the client.

If it's a large corporation (when you get your check from three states away) they're probably going with the lowest bid out there.

But if it's a sole business (hoosier racing tire), they want the guy who will give them the most for their money.

Get to know their business then show them yours.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

That is one of the best statements I've seen in a while. Its very true, and you establish a great relationship.:)

5. Hey I was close to that. LOL:D

6. landman

landman LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Like the other guys said, you have to sell your business to them, make them feel that you are offering a better more inclusive service than the other guys. Let them know you are accessible to them, give them pager #s, cell phone #'s. I have noticed that when a large Co. can get to you without trouble that is a great thing. Also you have to provide a quaility service, you may have to bid a little lower than you usually do (make sure you cover your expenses) get yourself seen and then the following year raise the price 8 or 9 % if you do a good job and they see that they won't argue the price. Also use it as a "stepping" stone for your company. If you develop a good relationship there ask if you can use them as a refrence, than when you go for another large bid you can say, take a ride by ABC Co and talk to John Doe the maint manager there and see our quaility of work yourself. Once you establish yourself you can dictate prices easier. When we do a commercial estimate nowadays we include a customer list with refrence names and phone #'s of contact people. We put all of this together in a folder with a letter telling them about our company. P.S. don't give too many resources usually 3 to 5 any more than that the potential client may think you are too big and may not be able to handle thier account. You will also find that the more large accounts you get, the more you will make, heres why; lets say you have a commercial that is 4 acres, your biggest machine is a 52" walk behind, you may do the property in 3 hours, after landing the account and a few more like it you will probably buy a 72" rider then the 4 acre account will now take 1 hr so you will eventually make up the diffrence it just takes time to get there.