Help with real estate accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sdm1976, May 6, 2007.

1. sdm1976

sdm1976 LawnSite Member

I have a real good friend in the real estate business that is very busy with her line of work. I recently purchased a commercial mower and some other equipment to start a small side business. I had some of the equipment but had to purchase the mower and some of the smaller items needed to take care of 10 or so lawns. Some of them are run down lawns that need to be kept in shape for showing to the possible buyers, some are decent with need of mowing once a week. My problem is that some of those accounts need to be done once a week but i am asked to do them every other week. On the ones that are pretty rough, thats fine, but the ones that are thicker and have been well maintained it takes a double cut to get them looking like i want to leave them. Since i am just starting out, i don't want to turn down the work but also have a 50 hour work week starting on Sunday that allows me to cut Thursday - Saturday. (perfect hours to start this type of side business). I have been on this site and have learned a lot and would like some feedback as to some type of conclusion. Thanks D

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Two options:

Refuse to cut bi-weekly. This is what I do.

Charge exactly double for having to double cut, as you're mowing the property twice.

3. sdm1976

sdm1976 LawnSite Member

thanks 5oboy, i have thought of it that way. I guess that i am worried about taking care of my small business. You have more options when you are big as you seem to be. Maybe i will have those options one day too. thanks again

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

LOL, I'm not big by any means. I'm solo and my partner helps when he can. This is my second year in business and I only have 22 accounts. Two are bi-weekly but only because I took them my first year. I'm on the verge of dropping them anyhow.

I understand that you are worried about getting business and so was I when I started. Hell, I took anything I could get, bi-weeklys, one time cuts, I didn't care what the property looked like.

I don't think that way anymore. My finished cut/trim looks just as good as any other LCOs but there are some companies' work that doesn't look so good. I let the "cheaper" customers who don't have much concern about what the property looks like(they just want it cut, and as cheaply as possible) get serviced by the mediocre operations.

5. sdm1976

sdm1976 LawnSite Member

Well thanks for your thoughts, i may look at it differently now. I have a beautiful lawn and it's looks alone have landed me weekly jobs,just not as many as i would like to have. I will just wait for word to spread and go from there. As for the lawns that i am cutting every other week that look like crap, i will just spend 45 minutes off the trailer and go on, the nicer ones will be done each week or pay more. later man,good luck and be safe.

6. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

I agree 100%! I am a full time Real Estate agent and also have 30 lawn accounts. Do quality work and you won't have to worry about getting those type o lawns!!!