help with record keeping

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobbygedd, Mar 10, 2002.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i stopped subbing out fert programs, and started doing my own this year. i understand that while keeping records, the amount of product used should not include any fert thats mixed in. ok, so i want to see if im doing this properly. the bag says it contains .13% of the chemical, and the remaining is "inert materials". so, if im applying 4 lbs per thousand sq. ft, and the property is 2500 sq. feet, then 10 lbs of total material was used, and 13% of that was the chemical used, this comes out to 1.30 lbs of herbicide used. is this the right way to do this?

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bobby

K.I.S.S. keep It Simple Stupid. I print a run sheet off the puter each time we service an account. My tech hand writes in the amount applied. This sheet is hole punched and kept in a three ring binder. At any time we can open the binder and look at a years worth or more of applys on a customer yard. This sheet works as a work order for my tech, a billing form for invoicing and a record keeper for the state. All my tech enters is 10 lbs xyz 13G. the puter sheet already has the sq ft and address customer name and type of service, there watering day and if they have a dog or cat and shoe size of there uncles wife. There is no need on granular to break out active chemicals. On liquid applys we do it by 1000 sq ft. Just write ".4 oz talstar 1 lb nitrogen 439 lb K2O." We know it is applied per thousand. Just might put .4 tal 1 N 439 k. I am sure someone has a better system than I do so I hope they post it here. I am still not happy my scheduler on the puter and can't see buying lawn monkey for $800. So if some one has a good scheduler I would like to know about it. At present time We do not leave a copy with the customer only a sign in yard. I would like to leave a bill with the customer at time of apply, but will send an invoice any way.

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

ric, thanx for your reply, but i still need to figure out how much chemical is being applied, and need to know if the way im doing it is an accurate acount of this info. the dep has clearly said that they dont care about the fertilizer that is mixed with the herbicide. it should not even be documented. if i document 10 lbs of product, they will assume it is 10 lbs of herbicide, and then im in big trouble. my question again, is 1.30 lbs an accurate figure?

4. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

"There is no need on granular to break out active chemicals."

Ric,
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. I do know that each state has its own regulations. Here in NJ we have to give the total amount of pesticide used on each application, whether its granular or liquid.

"the dep has clearly said that they dont care about the fertilizer that is mixed with the herbicide. it should not even be documented. if i document 10 lbs of product, they will assume it is 10 lbs of herbicide, and then im in big trouble. my question again, is 1.30 lbs an accurate figure? "

Bobby,
    The specific information that the DEP requires us to document for each application is: Date; Owner Name & Address of Property; Area & Pest Targeted; Equipment Used; Formulation, Lot# and Rate; Total Formulation Added; AMOUNT OF MIXTURE USED; Amount of Area Treated & its Location; Site & Weather Comments

I capitalized the AMOUNT OF MIXTURE part because this number in your sample would be the 10 total pounds of material applied (the pesticide & its inert ingredients, or the "mixture"). The DEP doesn't care if its fertilizer or water that you use to deliver the pesticide, but they do want to know the total amount of that product that you put down. You calculated the numbers correctly in the sample you gave.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Brl & Bobby

you are right each state is different and yes Bobby your calulations were right. Many years ago realized that pesticide fertilizer blends were an expensive way to go and so I don't use them. I have spray trucks and power spreaders it is just as fast for me to spread each seperate. This also allows me to use a different fertilizer on different yards and still put down the right amount of pesticide. The only pesticide I put down granular is for grubs. And that is even done as a spot treatment. Merit is however a general treatment. Dylox is a spot treatment However if you are cutting the lawn also, fertilizer pesticide blends will save you time not money. Lesco makes an electric spreader 12volt that can be put on any mower for about $ 350.00. See Stone a Green or soon I will post a pic of Ric a green. This still means you must do the math of A. I. % for your records. Here in Fla. our record keeping is just a little more relax on G.U.P.s than yours but R.U.P.s are very tight You must account for every drop purchased. Sorry if I mis lead you.

I am still interested in a scheduler program for applys if someone has one they can recomend that does not cost a small fortune.

6. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby, you state .13% AI. That is 13/100ths of 1 percent not 13 percent.

The amount of "active ingredient" used in your example would be .013 pounds applied to the 2500 sq ft.

The decimal you would use in multiplying the 10 pounds would be .0013. 13% in decimal form is .13.

To convert a decimal to a percentage multiple by 100. To convert a decimal to a percentage divide by 100.

7. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL I looked at the post 3 times and still didn't see the decimal point, and I was looking for it. Funny how the mind works sometimes. I was going to make a comment that he was probably using the 13% to make an easy sample to calculate, and that pesticides are normally less than or just over 1% in my experience. Good eye Harold. Actually I reread it & I now see what my mind did. Bobby said .13% in the beginning of his post, then wrote 13% in the middle of the sample question. I just calculated based on what he wrote in the problem & ignored the beginning of the post. So if it was .13% Harold is right, and if its 13% Bobby, Ric & BRL are right LOL

Bobby, if you look through the books that you received for the pesticide testing, there are quite a few good step by step examples of calculating AI%, and amounts, etc. that may help.

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

harold, bless your soul. u r right, it is .13% so, when applying 10 lbs of product, with an active ingrediant of .13 % how much chemical am i applying?

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

oh, i see, its .013 lbs. ok, thats what i come up with, but does that sound right, only applying .013 lbs of herb on 2500 sq. ft?

10. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

You are dead on the $ correct. This new stuff today is pretty potent. Take Merit or Acclaim or I forget one insecticide but it comes in a little bottle and you use cc's. Manage uses about .9 gram (less than 1/454th of a pound) per gallon to spot spray nutgrass.

Your product comes to about 5.67 grams per 1,000 sq ft.