1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help with reinforcement in an Outdoor Grill.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by ROC lawn and landscapes, Apr 16, 2011.

1. ROC lawn and landscapes

ROC lawn and landscapes LawnSite Member

Hey guys... So the thing is Im designing a surround with a built in grill with a seperate door underneath for storage. It is going to be built out of Belgard's Windsor stone 8x12x4. There is going to be a layer of block between the bottom of the grill and the storage door. How do I support those blocks that go across a 28" opening. Wasnt sure if I should use a piece of metal or what? Much needed help. Thanks a bunch!

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

use a piece of angled metal, or aluminum, to bridge the gap.

3. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

It is called a lintel. It is usually a piece of angle or two. A real mason supply house will have some.

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Concrete lintel. I have pics. But I'll have to postthem later this evening or tomorrow evening.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Murphy's Law

Murphy's Law LawnSite Member
    from NH

A steel shop or sheet metal shop will usually have all sorts of different size angle iron in stock.

I'm interested in those pics of of how a concrete lintel will work for this application. My brain is having a hard time picturing this.

6. DVS Hardscaper

The front of the lintel gets block (thats been sawed) glued to it

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

7. DVS Hardscaper

And now the grill is in place.

Again, you veneer block to the lintel, so you NEVER can tell it's there :)

IMG_1356.JPG

8. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

tht looks awesome DVS!!!!

9. DVS Hardscaper

That is actually a Nicolock kitchen kit. Granite counter tops come with it. On this particular job, the counter tops did not line up perfect, and a local granite counter top company who was already onsite for something unrelated to the patio had to make some adjustments. I hope Nicolock has since addressed and corrected the problem, as I made it a point to bring it to their attention.

10. joes169

joes169 LawnSite Member
    from WI

Good solution DVS.........:drinkup:

Another option is to saw a kerf into the back of the block and slide the angle iron lintel into the back of them to conceal the steel.