help with replacement engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mower_medic, Jan 27, 2005.

1. mower_medic

mower_medic LawnSite Member

My brother has a cheap P.O.S. Murray Riding mower with an 11 HP Tecumseh Enduro engine with a nice window in the side of the block. I've been looking for a short block only to find there is NO short block for this engine(OHV135/206914E). Where can I look to find a cheap briggs 11 or 12 HP electric start that he can just bolt on. (Not real mechanically inclined).Who can cross a Tecumseh over to a Briggs?

2. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

I think AYP makes the Murray. They use a number of different engines on the same chassis. If you pull the engine and look at the mounting base, there's probably more than one set of mounting holes.

I don't have the codes in front of me. Is the engine horizontal or vertical output shaft? If it's vertical, you'll need to measure the length of the shaft from the mounting boss. (Exposed length) and make sure the new engine's shaft matches.

As far as getting a new engine, there's several places. Shop around! The list price of dealers is seldom paid by the wise.

3. mikemerritt

mikemerritt LawnSite Member
    from MS

Any 11 or 12 HP Briggs or Tecumseh will fit this Murray as far as the mounting holes go. The only real variations that exist are the type of plugs used for the stator/ light wires and most 11 HP used on these mowers have a step down crank from 1 inch to 7/8 x 3 1/4 long. Industry standard now is 1 inch shaft. This problem is easily overcome by using a later model engine pulley that has the one inch hole.

Murray is made by Murray who are now owned by the Chinese who have since run it into bankruptcy. B&S will probably be the next owner if all goes well.

Mike

4. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Murray has already accepted B&S bid at auction.. of course, they were the only ones that placed a qualifying bid.

AYP does not make Murray, Murray makes the AYP/Craftsman/ etc little 30" rear engine riders you see, they also make the Craftsman branded wheeled string trimmers.

And honestly, unless you can find a pulled engine on ebay that you want to trust is going to be good, I wouldn't waste the money or time on trying to put an engine on that specific unit.... of course, we are a shop, so, it really wouldn't be worth the time involved.

If you want to assume the risks yourself, and dont' care about the $$$$ or how long the mower housing might hold up afterwards, then go ahead.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

You might try going around to some mower shops and try to find a good used engine. You'd save a lot of money. That machine isn't worth a new engine because for a little more money you could get a whole new mower.

6. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

The part number for the short block to fit that engine is 752325. Any Tecumseh dealer, or anybody who handles their parts can get that for you.

7. mower_medic

mower_medic LawnSite Member

Thank you so much Jman and everyone else who helped. I will be ordering the SB on Monday.

8. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

And the price, if you can find one is about $370.

9. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd go raid your local dealer back lots. I've found numerous good engines back there on mowers with bad decks or trannies, get them for $10-$15 ea. and put a carb kit in, and the engine is good to go, and then I drop it in an el cheapo mower and sell it for $250 or so.