1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

help with reseeding lawn.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by haybaler, Sep 16, 2007.

1. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

I've got a customer with a small front yard to re-seed. it's about 80 by 80. I don't want to use any chemicles to kill the existing lawn. my plan is to mow it really short and the loosen up the soil with my rock bucket and york rake and then spread 4 inches of new loam over that and seed it. Anybody see any problems with this? are the clumps of sod going to get in the way?

2. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

Have you done the math yet to figure how many dump truck loads it will take to cover that area with 4" of material?

Scott

3. haybaler

from ma

ya, I'm starting with one 20 yard load. it's sort of a triangle.

4. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

6400 sq. ft. at 4" depth would be 79 cubic yards of soil!!!

5. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

Do you really need 4 inches, whats underneath the new soil being added?

6. haybaler

from ma

It's not 6400 sq ft. like I said it's almost a triangle. The existing soil is not bad it just got packed down from construction on the house, that's why I'm going to loosen it up. my question is am I going to have to rake all the sod off or can I just loosen it and put the new loam over it?

7. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Harley rake/ Rototill and then bring in your soil. I don't think you will need four in. of loam but if your client wants to pay for it, then do it. Seed or sod after that.