1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with Rototill job

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Frenchie, May 4, 2007.

1. Frenchie

Frenchie LawnSite Member

Need some help with a rototill job. I have two coming up and I am really not sure how to price them. I have done gardens but these are for yards.
    The first yard is small... About 20x15 in the front. BAck yard area to be rototilled just about the same.
    The second yard I go see on Sunday but the lady tells me she lives on 1/4 acre and that includes her house. She wants the whole yard rototilled. I try to get 35 an hour (I am in CT) but I am wondering if these would be better priced by the job. Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.
  2. bahamamills

bahamamills LawnSite Member

It this a hand push/pull tiller or tractor tiller?
  3. Frenchie

Frenchie LawnSite Member

This is a hand push tiller
  4. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

front or rear tine?
  5. bahamamills

bahamamills LawnSite Member

I am almost afraid to touch this one. The hand roto tiller is great for small gardens but I am not sure about what you will be left with in the yards. Do they want you to replant becuase if you have done gardens with a hand tiller it is not the ideal machine for preparing a yard for seed.

I think it would be best to try to describe a little more about what you are trying to accomplish. If you are talking about just tilling and leaving thats one thing but if your job will be to reseed/plant a new lawn thats enitirely different.

Without knowing the full scope of the job stick to the by hour rate and pad it because if your doing this all by hand you will earn it.