Help with Scag 36" wb setup.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kbagger, Nov 17, 2007.

1. kbagger

kbagger LawnSite Member

Looking for some advice on deck pitch, blades, front baffle setting, etc.
    What seems to work best for you? Anybody mulch with the block-off plate and the Scag Elimminator mulch blades?
    The one I purchased has the rear deck in the highest setting. The front has two spacers above, two below, the caster support. Front baffle is in the lowest position. Currently has the mulch blades and block-off plate installed, but I also have a new set of standard blades.
    This is the fixed deck, twin hydro model w/ Advantage deck.
    Your thoughts will be most helpful! Thanks.
  2. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

My setup:
    Deck level
    high lift blades---these are what you call "standard blades"
    never changed the front baffle---you and I are about in the same zone
    no mulching blades for me
  3. kbagger

kbagger LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try. :)
  4. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I used the baffle under the front of the deck in the middle position. I also had the deck level. The blades depend on if I was mowing or cleaning leaves. When I mowed I used the Scag high lifts which are what come on it. With the leaves I used Scag eliminator blades which are like gator blades. Your owners manual will tell you which position to set your baffle for the best cut in different situations. In my area I have found that the middle is a "catch all setting" It does everything from striping when mowing to mulching leaves with eliminators very well. It is an awsome mower! Thats why I regret selling mine and am in the process of looking for another either a 36 or 48. You can't go wrong with a Scag. Good luck to you!
  5. kbagger

kbagger LawnSite Member

Thanks Mike. I've got the deck level and raised the front baffle to the middle position. Should be good to go!
    Any other advice from you pros,out there, will be greatly appreciated.
  6. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Same here Have 4 Scags from a 52 wildcat down to a 48 swzu ( ultimate ) and all decks are level From baffle tho for me on both wildcat and Tiger cub are set up fully in highest setting . Blades combos i run for normal grass cutting are 2 lowlift blades on insides 2 chambers and a high lift on discharge side to get the stuff out of there quick . Seems like with the high lift on discharge side it really throws the stuff . On the older swzu i also took a sawzall and cut out a section on rear of deck discharge to open it up even more , Had a buddy from Indy who does this to all his decks and he suggested it and its worked wonders .... less scraping of the deck no clumping in heavy damp grass . The way i look at it if Scag opened up the discharge opening on the High Velocity Decks( 40% larger opening than the advantage series decks) it cant be all bad in doing this