Help with SCAG

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mike33087, Jul 24, 2007.

1. mike33087

mike33087 LawnSite Member

I have an older Scag (2004) 48" belt drive with the 17 hp Kawi.... The problem is that it will run fine and then halfway through the lawn the engine starts surging ( reving hi - lo) and blowing black / blue smoke too. im not sure what to do, it shackes the whole machine. this is the second time it happened. after the first time i brought it to the dealer and they supposivly went through the entire machine and cleaned it out changed all filters fluids and gas.... thing ran great for about a month now its doing it again.

At this point im ready to say **** it and go buy a new one, its not worth it to keep sinking $300.00 into it to keep it running every month might as well spend that a month on a new walker

2. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

I have a 48' Scag, similar thing happened to me, blowing smoke, no power, but o.k at first. Check the air filter, but look at it backwards, not like you would check your trucks. I thought mine was clean until I looked through the mesh and saw it was plugged.

3. Kid With A Mower

Kid With A Mower LawnSite Member

How many hours on the engine?

4. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

124 hours,.

5. mike33087

mike33087 LawnSite Member

couldnt tell ya.... no hour meter

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I had a machine do that as well. Change the air filter and replace the plugs and it was fine. Is your fuel filter relatively new? Any water in the fuel?

7. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

there was an issue with kawi 17 hp heads a couple years back. Bring it to your local kawasaki dealer. Sounds like it could be a head gasket or maybe even valve seals.

If it's been running great for a month, I doubt it's something your dealer missed when servicing. Probably a whole new problem.

Good luck. There's plenty of dealers in your area so i'm sure it can be fixed.

A 2004 is not an old machine, so to scrap it would be silly. Unless, you need an excuse to buy new:laugh: