Help with Scaq WB..flywheel wont turn..

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Lakeside Lawn, May 9, 2008.

1. Lakeside Lawn

Lakeside Lawn LawnSite Member

I have a scaq wb with a Kawasaki FB460V 12.5 hp motor...It ran great last year..well at least it started okay. It sat out in the weather over the winter...and when I went to start it this spring...the rope wouldnt pull. I took the rope off...and it seems to be fine...the problem is in the flywheel?

I started taking bolts off to get to the flywheel...and when I went to take off one of the last 4...it turned about 1/4 turn. So I put everything back together hoping that it was going to work...and it didnt... can someone help me out here..point me in the right direction as to what might be the problem..and how I can fix it..thanks

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

take the spark plug out....make sure you dont have any water or other fluids in the combustion chamber. since fluid wont' compress its acts a lot like a something is frozen up. I would keep the starter cover off and use the wrench to turn the motor over by hand. you may have juts gotten some surface rust on the cylinder walls and its keeping the piston from moving easily up and down bythe starter cord

some WD40, fluid film or some other light lube squirted into the combustion chamber may also help loosen up any stuck parts. i would also change the oil and check it to make sure you don't have any odd fluids in the crank. IE gas that may have flowed through the carb into the engine...

My neighbor filler up her MTD this spring and gas went every as the float and needed had stuck open. dumped 1/2 gallon of gas in the crank case...

good luck

3. Lakeside Lawn

do you know what size wrench is needed for that big nut?...Im going to have to go get one..I don't have anything that big

4. Lakeside Lawn

okay...I took plug out..and I am able to turn the flywheel a little...maybe half turn, then it stops...however when I put the cover back on it...The rope turns a couple inches..and thats it. I need to know what size wrench that is on the flywheel?

I also sprayed some wd40 into where the plug was...any other options I could try?

5. MarcSmith

with the plug out, you have no compression so it should spin fairly easily. if not, then something is binding up the crank/piston/flywheel.

you said that you left it out all winter...so chances of rust in and around the moving parts is the likely culprit..

another possibility is the pulley on the underside that drives the transmission/hydro/blades is bound up. so you could take off the belts from the engine and see if that helps any...

if you can't spin the flywheel easily with no plug in the engine...its usually not a good sign...

6. Lakeside Lawn

Thats not what I wanted to hear...:(

7. Lakeside Lawn

okay..I took the whole top off..where i can get both hands on the flywheel...it turns..the whole roatation...does look like a bit of rust is on the egde of the flywheel..can I sand that?

8. MarcSmith

does it turn easy, rust on the fly wheel is not a huge deal. its rust inside the engine you'd be worried about. does is spin both ways?

if the engine spins easily. then you should be able put the covers back on, and the starter cord and give a pull. if it wont' turn, then there is something wrong with the pull cord assembly, or the flywheel is binding up on the covers. this preventing it from rotating.

you have narrowed the problem down to being on the outside of the engine, and not the inside at this point in time...

9. Lakeside Lawn

Put everything back on...and it pulls nice now...thanks for all the help...I guess it just needed a little kick in the rust!:rolleyes:

10. MarcSmith

a lot of cases folks will continue to pull on the rope, and end up braking the plastic starter pulley/assembly.