Help with small tree transplant information

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jondcoleman, Aug 29, 2007.

1. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

Hi everyone,

I got a request from a customer to transplant the tree in the pictures. I haven't done a transplant before and want to do it right. Can anyone please give me advice on how to do this... The two trunks are like 1 1/2 to 2". Thanks!

Jon

2. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

Sorry, forgot the pics.

2007.08.29 001.jpg

2007.08.29 002.jpg

3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I would wait until fall to transplant. I would just try to get as much of the rootball as possible. I have had pretty good success transplanting crepes.

4. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, wait until the fall, or at least a good string of cool days. and once transplanted make sure you keep up on the watering to relieve transplant shock.

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

honestly (and this comes from a guy w/ 3 tree spades) at tree that small it ain't worth the effort. go buy a new one that has been nursery grown and kill that one. It'll be a better outcome.

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Be sure the ground has been good and wet, but not drowned, up to a few days before digging. To keep the root ball easily clumped together. Pick a size that you can manage for the rootball. I do 3' diameter usually.
    Drive the shovel straight into the ground along that perimeter. Next dig from outside that perimeter and start heading downward to the taproot. The first shovel cuts are going to be holding the 8" or so of roots above your digging toward the tap.
    Go all the way around evenly on the second step. When the tap is cut - roll a dolly into the hole and haul to the next location.
    Have the recieving ground ready to go with whatever ammendents are needed already worked in. Drop it into the hole and rake the lose soil in as you have a hose slowly flooding the hole until all the dirt is in place and all the bubbles have stopped. Don't let the hose wash dirt off the roots let the muddy water from refill just rise up around it.
    My rule of thumb is to flood a new transplant 3 days in a row and dry out on the 4th day. Flood occasionally for another week depending on the soil and weather.
    Long answer I know , but that should take less time than a trip to the nursery. :) Proper watering is the ONLY important step. I've transplanted yews and arborvitaes that were yanked out with a chain larger than that.
    Water them into a properly prepared hole and you should do well. I also spray the leaves and branches everytime I water. Good luck.

7. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

If you must do it now, reduce the canopy by 20%-30% and use an anti-transpirant on the remaining leaves. A 3' rootball is going to be larger than necessary for that size of tree - you could do a 24" and it would be MUCH more manageable.

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Definately take only what is managable. It is better to go smaller with a good rootball intact than to bust one up going to large. Definately put off the transplant until fall if possible.

9. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

We moved four crepes about that size earlier this summer - they were in the way in a backyard redesign . It was nearly impossible to dig them , I ended up cutting them out with the trencher attachment on the Dingo - we trimmed the tops by almost half and kept them very well watered for a couple of weeks - all four made it and even bloomed . The most important thing for you , imo , is that the client understand that transplants this size are risky , especially this time of year - even if you follow all of the good suggestions offered above , the tree could die and tomscreek 's suggestion would be appropriate.

10. puddin' pie

puddin' pie LawnSite Member

kill it, buy new!