Help with smoking 17hp kawi

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by zima, Feb 26, 2008.

1. zima

zima LawnSite Member

i have not run this machine much last year maybe 3 times and i;m planning in usining this year and since i did the service to it start smoking;took it to the shop and they told me no much they can do about it,they recommend that i run it for good 5 hrs and put some carbureator cleaner in the gas tank, done that and still smoking,they said there maybe some gunk inside the motor built up or a ring is stock is anything else i can do to clean the motor whit and quit smoking,if it dosen't i'm going to start charging for mosquito treatment at customers propetys.Thank you guys for any help i can get.

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

You must have worn or cracked rings no an expensive fix if you can do it your self.:waving:

3. zima

zima LawnSite Member

thank you for the reply,just finishing running it for another 3 hrs and still smoking it's not bad but noticeble i wil try to find somebody the can fix it for me, i do not know squat when it comes to open a engine

4. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

Run some Sea Foam through to crankcase, then change oil and filter again. This should clean the debris and 'gunk' from the engine. Also run some Sea Foam through the gas system, this will help clean the carb and carbon build up. Joe

5. zima

zima LawnSite Member

thank you for reply,done that too what parts or kit do i need to replace if it is a worn ring engine is a 17hp kawi FH500V

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

What weight oil did you put back in it ?

7. zima

zima LawnSite Member

sae 10w-30 kohler command

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

See the "Note" on the bottom and try some 40W....

[​IMG]

9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had problems with my 15 and 17 hp Kaw engines smoking and oiling up the air filter. After about 1000 hrs these engines are headed for the scrap pile.