help with sod estimate

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kevinlane, Jul 30, 2007.

1. kevinlane

kevinlane LawnSite Senior Member

I started a landscape cleanout. Marble drainage rock instead of sod, everywhere, no grass. Pulling weeds in that stuff sucks.... Anyways, customer now wants sod. (After I pulled all the damn weeds) lol. The area is about 1200 sq ft. I will have to remove the rock crap, install some dirt and then St Augustine. I know about how much to estimate on the sod, but removing the dang rock....lot of work. I'm thinking atleast 20 hrs to remove that stuff. Maybe I need a bobcat or something? Here are some pics...Let me know what you pros think. :gunsfirin

80th Ave before 1.jpg

80th Ave before 2.jpg

80th Ave before 4.jpg

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Bobcat, get the bucket attachment and scrape all the rock up. Bring in topsoil to get some decent soil on there then lay sod. 1200 sqft? Thats going to be 2 1/2 pallets at about 180 a pallet delivered. Bobcat rental at Rudy's for a day is about 120$ with a trailer. Add in diesel that you burn removing rock -- 15$ Your cost on this including about 100$ in fuel to drive to and from the site is 670. For all that work I would charge somewhere around 2k. If they dont want to pay that much they kin find someone else to do it. That is a sh!tload of work get the right tools to get the job done without killing yourself. Oh wait, I almost forgot, disposing of the old rock once taken up. Not sure how thick or deep the rock is but you either have to rent a dump trailer or have a dump truck park at the site or something. There is also the city's rolloffs that you could have set down infront the house. Add about 250 for disposing of the rock. BTW your ford ranger aint gonna like the bobcat behind it.

3. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

No offense Kevin but, that's pretty basic stuff for someone with this tagline on their website:

Now, some questions for you to consider:

Have you ever used a bobcat?
    How are you going to get it there and inside that front yard?
    Any underground utilities? Water? Cable? Sprinklers?
    If no irrigation, How are you going to warranty the sod?

Just some thoughs.

My quote? For what I see, $3,200

4. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Check out a tracked mini skid.... you'll be able to haul it yourself, and it would probably fit the job better.

As with any sod job, irrigation is a big deal, get things nailed down before starting work.

If that rock isn't too deep and there is no material under it; why not till it in (with a rental unit:) )

5. kevinlane

First of all brutha....it is not basic stuff when it involves a bobcat, that is the reason for the post. The rock removal is new stuff to me, I can lay sod and everything else without question. Thanks for the 2 cents.

6. kevinlane

Ok so you are thinking a tiller would get the job done? I had thought of that. The rock is only a few inches deep in most areas that I checked. Maybe I'll give that a try, thanks.