Help with sod install in central florida

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassmedics, Oct 15, 2007.

1. grassmedics

grassmedics LawnSite Member

I need to put a bid on a sod remove and install, and was wondering if someone could help me with pricing. There is about 2012 sqft of area, which equals out to about 5 pallet. I am going to cut the old stuff out with a sod cutter and haul it away. The only access to the backyard is to remove some planks from a wooden fence so i will have to haul it in by wheelbarrow or something. I will be using floratam as well. Please help!:)

2. MOTES

MOTES LawnSite Member

I've done similiar job that you just posted, I don't know what your Pallet of sod costing you, but up here in ohio, 1 pallet cover little over 500 square feet and cost me $125, but i charge $200 per pallet to customers plus $60 per hour labor ($1 per min). If i was you, I would think about mainly how long it'll take you to do the job, plus your supplies. Hope this help.

3. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

That is our rate for removal and replacement. 400 sq ft minimum. St. Augustine grass. Our company charges the same for bahia, just because we hate handling it. The landfill gets 33 bucks a ton to dispose of...and that old sod isn't going to be light. Angelos off of Apopka Blvd no longer takes yard waste...a shame, as they only charged about 7 bucks a ton. If they think that that is high.....have them call Lee rd nursery, Girard, and Carol King for comparisons..... But $1.00 per sq ft for R+R is average.

Dennis

4. grassmedics

ok so $1.00 per sqft. does that include dump fees, rental of sod cutter, gas? or just R+R? I was thinking of putting bid around $4k, do you think that is too much?

5. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

....includes everything to complete the job. I would quote the job at $2,200. We own our sod-cutters and dump trailers, but I still wouldn't try to pass the cost of a rental to the customer.....you SHOULD own the tools for your trade, if landscaping is your trade, you should own a sod-cutter.

I do understand renting one until you get more sod jobs, been there, done that. But even then, I didn't pass the cost for the cutter to the customer.

Yes, $1.00 a foot includes landfill, materials, and labor. $4000.00 will not fly.....no way. If so....you'd be doing KILLER!!!!

Messenger me if you need more info. We average about 50 pallets a week from Oct-end of April...so I have plennnnty of experience in sod work in Central Florida.

Use Duda & Sons in Oviedo for you sod....stay away from "middle-men" that bring in sod from other fields, then sell it to us landscapers. Best Rental off of E Colonial has the best rental sod cutter if you need to rent. It's powered by a 10hp engine instead of the standard Honda 5.5...makes for an easier cut-out. Use a pitch fork to load and help sift out the dirt...saves on dump fees. You should net profit about $150 a pallet when all is said and done....even after labor. Takes about an hour/pallet for tear-out and loading...another hour for install and trimming.

Dennis

6. grassmedics

ok thanks for the info it has been really helpful. if I need anymore info i will definetly messenger you.