Help with sprayer Plumbing setup

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 1ousooner, Aug 9, 2012.

1. 1ousooner

1ousooner LawnSite Member

Here's the short and skinny.....I have a 200 gallon horizontal leg tank (flat bottom) that I want to rig up and dedicate to sterilant jobs. Already have the engine and diaphragm pumps that I want so that's no issue. What I'm struggling with is the plumbing. Since I'll be running mostly WP's and granular Chems in the tank should I make the bulkhead that's on the end of the tank my suction port or should I insert my jet agitation inlet there? If I make that the suction I'll never be able to completely empty the tank. My original plan was to make it agitation but just thought I'd better ask around as there may be something I'm overlooking. Thanks in advance.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Can you cut another hole in bottom of tank?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. 1ousooner

I'd rather not, I know that's the way my skid sprayers are plumbed but cutting a hole in the bottom makes me worry about leaks. I don't own a space saver rig but the pics I've seen look like they run all the plumbing out of the top o the tank. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. cgaengineer

You only need a threaded pipe with two jam nuts and silicone washers. You may even be able to glue it with epoxy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

6. 1ousooner

I was trying to get around putting the tank on a skid and cutting a hole in it....however that may be the correct option, not sure yet. I guess what I'm really trying to get at is can I get around doing that? Can all the plumbing (aside from the current bulkhead on the tank) be ran out of the top effectively? If I need to cut a hole I will but I'd like options.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. 1ousooner

8. cgaengineer

Does the tank have a second hole beside fill lid?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

While there are draw back you can tap the top of the tank and run a PVC pipe to the bottom as your suction intake. One problem is Pump can push better than they pull. It will take more power to deliver less material to the pump if it draws it up a pipe. I do this on a small 12V sprayer and it works OK.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Not seeing your actual tank and pump puts me at a disadvantage to guide you. However can install a Elbow on the Present fitting to reach the bottom and suck up almost everything. You want a little gap so your pump isn'r sucking up trash.