Help with spreader choice please!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sulston, Jan 2, 2007.

1. sulston

sulston LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy a new spreader, I hate crap so I'm looking for the best one out there, don't care about price. I've done some research and I'm leaning toward a Lesco Rotary/Drop but I've also heard Scotts has a nice stainless spreader. Any reviews on the Lesco or other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The Lesco spreaders are a good product and hold up well. The only thing I dislike about them is they can be heavy. I have an earth-way spreader (Its red, I think thats the right name) that has a 50lb capacity. I am very pleased with the unit. It also saved me some money as compared to the Lesc spreader.
  3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have the Lesco rotary/drop. To me, the only "next step up" would be to go with a Perma-Green. The Lesco is so well-built and balanced, it's almost prefect. If anything happened to mine, I can't imagine getting any other brand.

PVLAND LawnSite Member

Both the Lesco and Scotts/Anderson spreaders are excellent. Price wise the Lesco is the better but you'll be happy with either.
  5. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Lesco spreaders,80lb stainless. I would say I'm overall satisfied. I wouldn't go so far as to say they are perfect. They are completely servicable,big plus for us. I hate the rain hat, for the price they should last longer than a season. I do wise the adjitator assembly were a bit better attached to the shaft, and finally thyey do slip out of adjustment over time and the hole opening rod has to be cut shorter to keep it from hitting the impeller. I do like them. It just toke me a while to get use to the quirks.
    Oh, and by the way, get the remote deflector kit with rods, not cables.
  6. sulston

sulston LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the input so far guys, really appreciate it. Think I'm gonna go with the Lesco Rotary/Drop unless someone can convince me otherwise. Could anyone who has this model tell me how well the dual function works. Would it be worth it to get two separate spreaders, one drop and one broadcast or does the Lesco truly do a good job of both? Also, what's this deal with the remote deflector kit, does it come with cables and I have to special order the one with rods or what? Thanks again.
  7. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,637 <<< Click on the link to read a post on this very topic. I challenge you to find any applicator Sulston, who has used both the Anderson (model SR2000) and the new Lesco spreader that will not recommend the Anderson over the Lesco any day. The key point here, is to get input from people who have actually used both brands of spreader.

I'd advise you to heavily consider what people like myself, who actually do have experience with both new Lesco spreaders AND new Anderson spreaders have to say about which one is best. If you've never used and Anderson, how can you tell me that it's not better than the Lesco?

While the Anderson SR2000 is a rotary spreader (not a rotory/drop spreader), I can't say enough good things about it. I've never used a rotory/drop spreader before, but can tell you that my SR2000 does everything I ask of it and it does it very well. The aforementioned link does a good job of comparing the two. Be sure to read it.

8. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco spreaders will last for years.
  9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

try this truly the best of the best, cost about $475-$500 and comes with the side deflector (that works), rain cap, and stainless steel. used lesco, andersons, and the earthway, and will say anderson has it all. read the link from victor and do a search for the sr2000, the one thing that is said about the lesco, is that it does not spread evenly, that in-of-its self would be reason enough not to buy one. industry standard? thats because they have more contact with the LCO, thats why they sell more, duh. just because chevy sells more cars then ford doesn't mean chevy is better (imo). i do have a lesco, i use it for spreading salt on walkways, spreads just far enough to cover 48" sidewalk, and it will probly last me a lifetime.
  10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Years ago, we liked LESCO spreaders. But recently, LESCO offers only the BIG (and cumbersome) push spreaders. These are larger spreaders with winged handles.

None of my ten guys like these "new units", cuz they are cumbersome.

I personally still use a "non-stainless steel LESCO spreader - (polycoated white), while the rest of my guys use the "old-style stainless steel" units.

We have three "new-style LESCO spreaders, but we don't use 'em. (They were "given" to us due to large purchases).

The older "high-wheel LESCO's" are our favorites. We continually "piece them together" each year. They are much more manouverable than the cumbersome new LESCO's.

Anybody else experience this?