Help with spreader settings?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MrC, Jul 17, 2007.

1. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I recently picked up a Scotts Deluxe spreader with edgeguard ($20, hard to pass up) and can't figure out what setting to use for the 24-5-11 Lesco fertilizer. I contacted two local Lesco dealers and they keep telling me to go to the website but I can't get anything from the spreader settings tab on the site and the bag doesn't have the spreader listed. Can someone please tell me what setting to use and how to figure it out for future products. Thanks!!!

2. treemonkey

treemonkey LawnSite Member

Here's the correct way to do it. Most don't go through this labor intensive operation to get accurate applications. For some reason, fertilizer application calibration is not taken as seriously as pesticide application calibration. Sorry I don't have the settings you need.

http://www.members.aol.com/groundkprs/calibration.html

3. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

also be aware that settings should be calibrated by you for you alone, if someone thats over 6 foot tall gives you "x" setting, it might not work to well if you are around 5 foot, his average stride and walking speed is naturally going to be a bit faster, so keep that in mind:)

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We go with the hopper holes half open - then we can quickly determine if we need to go heavier or go lighter after just one or two bags of fert. Then we're dead on. Our "test lawns" are my own and our office.

5. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

here is the lesco settings
    http://www.lesco.com/Default.aspx?PageCode=SPREADER_SETTINGS

you need to go to solution center than spreader settings than enter the product 25-5-11 than go to the drop down box in step 2 and select your product
    what you have to try to figure out is you spreader a speedy green 3000 with a deflector on it. scotts should help you on this this will get you real close
    try setting 6

6. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

Grab one the green calb keys from Lesco and just set the speader to whatever you need. It is a no brainer if you use that key and you don't have to guess at what you think is the right size hole. I think there free, not sure though.

7. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

their $4-$5

8. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Thanks for the help!!!

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The green calibration keys have nothing to do with a Scotts spreader, though. Those are for the Lesco spreaders based on the throw, size of holes, and 3 hole formation.

10. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no guarantee that your spreader is even on this list but here is something I have from a previous life.

24-5-11 50% PSCU 1% Fe

Product Application Rate:
    *LBS PER 1000 SQFT 4

Coverage:
    Earthway 14.5
    Lely 4.5
    LESCO HD-1 7
    LESCO R-94 7.5
    LESCO Rotary (80# & 100#) 15
    Ortho 3
    Precision 6
    Red Devil 6