Help with spring triming. Newbe

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by RYDER, Apr 3, 2007.

1. RYDER

RYDER LawnSite Member

Help with trimming I am new and one of my accounts wants me to trim some of the plants but I am not sure if thay need to be and how short. It is that tall grass looking stuff about 3-4ft tall and it is brown right now, So do I cut it? If so how short?:confused:
  2. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like pampas grass , but obviously just guessing . If so , the new vegetation will grow from the root - the brown top needs to be cut to the ground . Several ways to do this , I tie the clump with duct tape , then cut off at ground level with a cordless reciprocating saw or chain saw , depending on size. The duct tape holds the clump together for easy removal and disposal. It is wise to use gloves when handling this stuff , the blade edges are serrated and can cut you .
  3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Pampas grass or ornamental grass, some people call it either one. I usually take some twine or jute string and tie it together real nice, makes for easy clean-up. Usually I cut it leaving about 6-8 inches above the ground. I use my hedge trimmers, they do just fine.
  4. RYDER

RYDER LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help.:dancing: