Help...With stepping stones?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Gibs, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Gibs

Gibs LawnSite Member
    from canada

hey guys i want to place those big like 24" by 24" white walkway concrete slabs down in a 10 by 10 area and make it level... should i just place the stones on the bare dirt or lay some fine gravel under them?

thanks guys

2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Whenever we have to lay those, (not very often)we compact some 3/4 crushed stone and put a layer of bedding sand down for easier leveling.

3. Gibs

Gibs LawnSite Member
    from canada

thanks kris ... do you also use that fine sand for in between the stones? and do you just lay done a fine layer of (3/4")crushed stone?

4. kris

from nowhere

Depends what the area will be used for .... 4-6 inches of crush and an inch or so of sand.

Shouldn't really be any cracks per say when done..if so yes sweep in a bit of sand.

5. Gibs

Gibs LawnSite Member
    from canada

its just for my grand parents they have like a 10 by 10 sittin area in the middle of the lawn and they just wnana put chairs on it and ontop of the stepping stones slaps is a like tents thing to keep bugs out..

6. kris

from nowhere

Well to do it properly you should be digging out all the soil ..down to a suitable sub-base ... then do your base.

If not ...do a homeowners job and scrape a bit of dirt off and lay a bit of sand to make it easier.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Right the reason why you want to dig down is so you can get a good base in and that way the area won't sink or slide the next rain season.Also it helps to have an edge or a frame around the area to keep it together.It's very important when doing it for older people that you keep the material as level to each other as possible.Othewords no "toe grabbers"stones that are just above or just below each other to get the toe of a shoe caught and then cause a fall.

8. Gibs

Gibs LawnSite Member
    from canada

do you think i should buy the rubber edge stuff that pl use when laying downs walkways to keep the bricks in place? or since i am diggin up about 4 inches in the 10 by 10 area that would gives my stones a egde..

thanks for the reply

9. kris

from nowhere

you dont need any edging when laying 24" x 24" slabs