Help With Stihl Br 420 Blower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by puppypaws, Sep 4, 2005.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I need the steps to change the starter pull rope on a BR 420 back pack Stihl blower.

Thanks Reid

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have mine in front of me but usually it includes removing four screws with the special Stihl wrench. Then you can take the starter rope assembly away from the blower. Try hard not to take the pulley off since you can have difficulty getting the pulley and spring back in place. Most of these units can have rope replaced without taking off the pulley. Post if you need more help.

3. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

The screws, are a T27 Torx head, just so you know. Also, Ed is right, you can replace the rope, without pulling off the pulley, good thing too, cause those recoil springs ,are a ROYAL pain in the backside to work on.

4. joe stihl

joe stihl LawnSite Member

Putting it back together is simple. Take the rotor out and put the new rope in. When you put the starter back together, leave the rope loose (no tension in the spring). Put the pawl and the clip on so the rotor doesn't fall out. To put tension in the spring, pull several inches of rope back through the hole in the outer housing so that you have a loop between the housing and the rotor. There is a notch cut in the top side of the rotor. Put the rope coming off the rotor in there and wind the rotor up. When you have enough tension, pull the rope back out straight with the handle. And your done.

Kind of hard to explain, but very simple to do once you see it done.

5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you very much gentlemen it worked like a charm.

Reid