Help with the right Fertilizer and Program

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by topchoice, Jan 10, 2008.

1. topchoice

topchoice LawnSite Member

I have been on the Scotts program for approximately 3 years now and am somewhat satisfied with the program; however, it is not good enough. I have Fescue and Bluegrass mix throughout my property and am constantly fighting to keep the neighbors poor yards out of mine. I love a green, plush yard year round that I can have my 1 year old play in without being pricked by the little weeds that I do have. There are so many different programs out there that I can't decide which way to turn. I thought about having a professional company do the work but I would rather use that money and do it myself. Any help with this topic would be greatly appreciated. This is one area in lawn maintenance that I am not rehearsed in. Thanks!

2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Start with a soil test. The easiest thing to change is the soil. If it is unbalanced, that will invite weeds. If you have maintenance accounts, don't you have an applicator that you send referrals too? If not, you should. He will be able to identify the target weeds, and put a program together. One thing Scotts doesn't address is fall pre-emergent apps. The spring pre-emergent is really for crabgrass, and that's it. For many weeds, like chickweed, goose grass or wood sorrel to name just 3, a fall pendimethlin pre-emerge is the way to treat it. If it's mugwort, an entirely different approach is needed.

The target weeds must first be identified. Then a plan can be created for control. Get a good apps guy to refer customers to... then ask him for some freebie advice! or, better yet, start working towards getting certified yourself. Then you can offer your customers the same service you want yourself.