Help with this Aerator?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by JFizzle, Feb 6, 2007.

1. JFizzle

JFizzle LawnSite Member

I've been looking to get a fairly inexpensive aerator for this spring and came across this for $400. Its got a flat and needs a new throttle cable.

It definately looks older so I'm wondering if I would be able to get parts and stuff for it.

Anyone have experience with one?

Thanks
    Joe

767075.jpg

2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I looked a bit on Google. Not 100% sure what it is but I think its a Classen

http://littlewonder.com/16_Classen/400_500_ATC.pdf

That parts breakdown looks scary similar to what you have there. I have no idea what parts availability is like on older Classen stuff though. May want to give your local dealer a call or even Classen themselves and see what parts availability is...

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would pass on that!!!!! You can get decent used aerators for about $800-$1200 on ebay. A rental store just put 5 Ryan units up about a month ago. 4hp honda's 19" for $750 buy it now.

4. Daniels

Daniels LawnSite Member

5. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

When you look at something like that.....ask your self this...How much time do I have to chase parts and do maint. Fixing it may be easy if you can find the parts. Over the past 31 years I have seen dozens of aerator manufacturers come and go leaving behind units that no one can get parts for. My advice is to pick a unit that comes from a reliable mfg. that you can get parts from.

I love old cars but I would not use one for my daily driver because they are not reliable and getting parts is a problem. Do you use a 30 year old pickup for your business.... See where I am going. Good luck with your efforts. But a little more spent up front coud save you hundreds in the long run.

A good quality Aerator can make you hundreds a day and can pay for itself in a week or so. Why try to do it with an antique piece of junk.

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I don't do much aerating even though I have several machines. I had an older machine one time on a customers lawn that broke down. That was the moment I decided I would never take an old piece of crap to a customers lawn ever again. Embarassing to say the least. It's different when good looking equipment breaks down than old crappy looking junk.